Lost ~2.5 ft of water overnight

Kik10

May 21, 2020
McHenry, IL
New pool owner on year three. Opened the pool for this first time ourselves this year 8 days ago. Found we had lost quite a bit of water over the winter and thought it was due to a tear in the cover (basically a large plastic tarp held down by water bags). When draining the water from the cover it smelled of bleach, which led us to believe the heavy snow on the cover in the pool pushed the water up out the tear onto the cover.

Filled up the pool last week and everything has been running smoothly until waking up this morning to see the drained pool.

At this point I'm guessing the winter water loss and last night's loss were due to a leak in suction side plumbing drain line since the water line in the winter was below the skimmer, return jets, and spa jets leaving the drain as the only available exit point. However, TFP's leak detection article Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool states a suction side leak occurs only when the pump is off and last night the pump was running, albeit only at 800 RPM. We THINK the ground feels soggy where the suction side plumping runs between the pool and pump, but difficult to tell between the mulch being thicker in some areas and yesterday's rain.

1) Safe to assume this is a suction side leak and start digging?
2) Range of potential cost to have a professional take care of this and do I call a pool company or plumber?
3) Do I need to check for any equipment damage due to the water getting below the skimmer with the pump running until I turned it off this morning?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 20
Have you checked that the waste line on the filter doesn't leak when the pump is running and the filter is in filter mode? If that is not happening, the next thing I would try is plugging the main drain inside the pool and see if the leak stops.

Have you checked that the waste line on the filter doesn't leak when the pump is running and the filter is in filter mode? If that is not happening, the next thing I would try is plugging the main drain inside the pool and see if the leak stops.
Thank you. Yes, the filter waste line was bone dry. How would I go about plugging the main drains in the pool? Here is a picture of the drains. Not sure whether all four of these are drains.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 13
New pool owner on year three. Opened the pool for this first time ourselves this year 8 days ago. Found we had lost quite a bit of water over the winter and thought it was due to a tear in the cover (basically a large plastic tarp held down by water bags). When draining the water from the cover it smelled of bleach, which led us to believe the heavy snow on the cover in the pool pushed the water up out the tear onto the cover.

Filled up the pool last week and everything has been running smoothly until waking up this morning to see the drained pool.

At this point I'm guessing the winter water loss and last night's loss were due to a leak in suction side plumbing drain line since the water line in the winter was below the skimmer, return jets, and spa jets leaving the drain as the only available exit point. However, TFP's leak detection article Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool states a suction side leak occurs only when the pump is off and last night the pump was running, albeit only at 800 RPM. We THINK the ground feels soggy where the suction side plumping runs between the pool and pump, but difficult to tell between the mulch being thicker in some areas and yesterday's rain.

1) Safe to assume this is a suction side leak and start digging?
2) Range of potential cost to have a professional take care of this and do I call a pool company or plumber?
3) Do I need to check for any equipment damage due to the water getting below the skimmer with the pump running until I turned it off this morning?
Update:

Let it sit four days with pump off at same level > no water loss. Filled to normal level and let sit with pump off one day > no water loss. Ruled out main drain and going back to thinking the winter loss was due to tear in cover. Ran pump a couple hours > no water loss. Let sit overnight > no water loss. Pump has now been running seven hours > no water loss. If there was a leak bad enough to allow several inches out overnight why is nothing happening now? What else could have happened that is not occurring anymore?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.