Loss of pressure while vacuuming

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
I've noticed lately when I try to vacuum the pool (utilizing my suction port), the pressure will continually lose prime. Outside of air being in the hose/line, I'm curious if I need different valve settings. My setup is pretty straightforward. One value is for main drain/vacuum and the other is skimmer. Perhaps I need a little less vacuum on the valve or need to shut off my skimmer while vacuuming?

All you can do is experiment with different valve settings and see what works with your system.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and valves.

I've noticed lately when I try to vacuum the pool (utilizing my suction port), the pressure will continually lose prime.
FP,

What does that mean.. :scratch:

Do you mean the pump runs out of water and loses prime, or do you mean that the vac has less suction than you want, but the pump is running ok?

With the valves set like in your pic, I would think that most of the water would come from the skimmer and not as much from the vac line, as water will use the path of least resistance..

If your pump is running out of water, my guess is that there is air in the vac line.

Air could be coming from one of the valves or the vac hose.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Let's look at the way your skimmer diverter is set.

The red line shows the way your diverter block is set. it is blocking maybe 40% of the path from the CLEANER line while the SKIMMER line is totally open for the pump suction. That is not what you want for the vacuum.

Moving the handle counter clockwise to the green line changes the balance the other way with 100% open for the vacuum and partially open for the skimmer.

Then you can experiment with moving the handle towards the yellow line to reduce the skimmer contribution to the pump and see what the best setup is for your pump during vacuuming.

Florida Pool.jpeg

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie