May 15, 2015
Ottawa, canada
We have a 21' above ground pool with a hayward filter (SM2106T in case it matters). The filter is about 7 years old. I recall having a slight issue last summer with cloudy water that wouldn't quit and now upon opening we are losing pressure and the pump/filter combo seems to be running quite low. If I backwash and rinse, the pump will run at full strength for a good 30 mins but then it dwindles down to hardly any pressure so the pool isn't getting cleared. I'm not sure if I need to replace the sand or if something else could be the issue. I've checked the obvious things like the skimmer basket, the pump basket.

What you are describing sounds like algae. Are you testing your water with a Taylor K-2006C (or TF-100 form the states)? Can you post a full set of water results? I bet it's algae, but with one of those test kits you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm.

More info at the Pool Care Basics page.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If it is algae, what does that mean for the filter? Would I need to clean it?
Here at TFP we use the SLAM Process to kill & remove algae. Cleaning the filter is part of it. The SLAM Process page outlines all the details, but you do need one of those test kits to test the FC & CYA accurately and to maintain the elevated FC level required as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. We can walk you through it, but proper testing is a must to avoid damage to your liner and waste of chemicals - especially at today's prices. :(

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.