Losing water with skimmers on, Gaining water with skimmers off

fzr

Jun 14, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I opened my pool a couple weeks ago and have noticed that i'm losing water with skimmers on and gaining water with skimmers off. I can understand that perhaps there's a leak somewhere when I have the skimmers running. But I don't understand why I would be gaining water with the skimmer valves off. I don't have an auto-fill system. It's like almost an inch per few hours. With the pump off the water level stays the same.

You don't have a drain sump that reverses flow when your skimmer line(s) are shut down, do you?

I do because my pool was built in a former catch basin...but that line has to be open and the skimmer lines closed, for it to pump collected groundwater back into the system.

When I deliberately do this after days of hard rain, it DOES raise my water level. But I can't imagine it happening accidentally.

Can you post a pic of equipment pad?
Did you build the pool, or buy the pool with the house?.

You don't have a drain sump that reverses flow when your skimmer line(s) are shut down, do you?

I do because my pool was built in a former catch basin...but that line has to be open and the skimmer lines closed, for it to pump collected groundwater back into the system.

When I deliberately do this after days of hard rain, it DOES raise my water level. But I can't imagine it happening accidentally.

Can you post a pic of equipment pad?
Did you build the pool, or buy the pool with the house?.

I attached a pic of the equipment. I had the pool built by a pool company. I think what may be going on is the valve I circled in red. It was open. I closed it and now it seems to not be losing water when the skimmers are open. I'm assuming this pipe leads to the house plumbing. Could that be why when the skimmers are closed that water fills up when that valve is open? Maybe the company did that on purpose so I could fill the pool without using the garden hose. They never told me this unless I forgot. So the filling I can understand if that's the case but losing water with the skimmers open and that pipe valve open I don't understand since I would think water would only flow in one direction.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.