losing suction

Jun 5, 2016
Matawan nj
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I Don't know what else to try !
2 years ago the stronger of my 2 skimmers just suddenly stopped working. I had a company come out and use fancy devices with cameras etc and they found that the underground pipe was crushed by a tree root. So i"ve been left with the weaker skimmer (further from the pump) which also shares a line with bottom drain i believe. That one skimmer has been enough to run my pool but this season when i opened the pool i noticed that the suction slows down considerably after aprox an hour. The intake also is very weak blowing back into the pool and the slide water is dribbling out. I checked the gage and it's running high when this happens. I took apart the filter this morning to clean the grids, did lots of back washing and charged up the filter with plenty of fresh DE and it happened again. I purchased a stronger motor last season as well so i don't think that's the cause. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thank you

You very likely have an algae problem, not a filtration problem.

Can you post a full set of chemistry results and fill out your signature with all the details of your pool?
I don't see the place to fill out my signature, i assume that mean my pools info.
How would algae cause my skimmer to stop sucking and the returns to stop blowing ? I just took apart the filter and cleaned all of the grids yesterday so it can't be that the grids are clogged. As for the chemistry , i'm lucky that my pool is always balanced nicely. Sometimes the chlorine is a little low and i'll see some algae starting to show on the sides but a simple brushing and chlorine add solves that without issue. After my initial cleaning at the beginning of each season my water usually stays clear. It's about the only positive thing about my pool every year.
Thank you

How would algae cause my skimmer to stop sucking and the returns to stop blowing ?
Because it's clogging up your filter, which is creating resistance to flow.

As for the chemistry , i'm lucky that my pool is always balanced nicely.
Here at TFP we like to discuss empirical absolutes. Post a full set your latest test results.

Sometimes the chlorine is a little low and i'll see some algae starting to show on the sides but a simple brushing and chlorine add solves that without issue.
That kind of contradicts your previous statement. It can't always be balanced nicely and sometimes have low chlorine. If you have seen algae in your pool, I can assure you that brushing and a one time chlorine addition didn't solve your problem.

To get rid of the algae problem, and consequently your flow issue, you are going to need to follow the SLAM Process.

Do you have your own testing kit?

Because it's clogging up your filter, which is creating resistance to flow.

Here at TFP we like to discuss empirical absolutes. Post a full set your latest test results.

That kind of contradicts your previous statement. It can't always be balanced nicely and sometimes have low chlorine. If you have seen algae in your pool, I can assure you that brushing and a one time chlorine addition didn't solve your problem.

To get rid of the algae problem, and consequently your flow issue, you are going to need to follow the SLAM Process.

Do you have your own testing kit?
I only need to use the test strips b/c the water is usually nice n clear and remains balanced throughout the season. The problem definitely isn't algae b/c I just cleaned the filter grids on tuesday and the issue occurred again just after i cleaned them. So the filter was as clean as it's ever been.

The problem definitely isn't algae b/c I just cleaned the filter grids on tuesday and the issue occurred again just after i cleaned them.
Was the flow strong again after cleaning the filter? Do you have a multi port valve? What happens when you run in recirc?

Was the flow strong again after cleaning the filter? Do you have a multi port valve? What happens when you run in recirc?
It ran fine for about an hour just like it does after i backwash, then it slows down and eventually barely has an suction at all. I don't know what a multi port valve is and i've never run it on recirc.

It ran fine for about an hour just like it does after i backwash, then it slows down and eventually barely has an suction at all. I don't know what a multi port valve is and i've never run it on recirc.
"Bel", the advice provided above is spot-on with TFP guidance. Everything you have said points to algae. The only way to know for sure if a full set of water test results with either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. The test kit must be a priority for any pool owner. We (TFP) get nothing out of the purchase of a test kit, nor do we care where you buy it from. The kit is for your benefit. What appears to be clear water to you does not mean the water is sanitary or that you can see the transparent organics suspended in the water. Test strips are notoriously bad for testing. You can never get accurate results with paper dipping and those massive "ranges" or what they list as acceptable results.

Your signature is not updated, but from your comments you appear to have a DE filter. De filters are known to clog-up extremely fast with organics (algae). You backwash and everything flows fine for about 30 minutes before water flow slows down again. Hence, the algae. Multiport Valve (MPV) is a dial with handle used to backwash. If you don't have a MPV, then you must a plunger/slide backwash valve. You can post pics, but also be sure to update your signature. See mine as an example.

We can help, but it starts with proper test results. Not all water flow problems are mechanical in nature.

"Bel", the advice provided above is spot-on with TFP guidance. Everything you have said points to algae. The only way to know for sure if a full set of water test results with either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. The test kit must be a priority for any pool owner. We (TFP) get nothing out of the purchase of a test kit, nor do we care where you buy it from. The kit is for your benefit. What appears to be clear water to you does not mean the water is sanitary or that you can see the transparent organics suspended in the water. Test strips are notoriously bad for testing. You can never get accurate results with paper dipping and those massive "ranges" or what they list as acceptable results.

Your signature is not updated, but from your comments you appear to have a DE filter. De filters are known to clog-up extremely fast with organics (algae). You backwash and everything flows fine for about 30 minutes before water flow slows down again. Hence, the algae. Multiport Valve (MPV) is a dial with handle used to backwash. If you don't have a MPV, then you must a plunger/slide backwash valve. You can post pics, but also be sure to update your signature. See mine as an example.

We can help, but it starts with proper test results. Not all water flow problems are mechanical in nature.

Ok thank you very much. I'll get a test kit and start working on the signature as well as take some pics of the filter.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HERE is the link to the TF-100. If you can't see our signatures, perhaps you need to turn your phone sideways to Landscape if you're on a phone.
ok thanks. I'm on a laptop. Is the signature the details of your pool thats listed under your profile pic? I just went into my settings and found a different link to "my signature" so i opened it and it had some details written in the box but they weren't my pool details.

Is the signature the details of your pool thats listed under your profile pic?
No. The profile info and signature are two different areas in your settings. The info under our profile pic (avatar) is a convenient snapshot, but the signature allows you to add much more info.

No. The profile info and signature are two different areas in your settings. The info under our profile pic (avatar) is a convenient snapshot, but the signature allows you to add much more info.
ok think i have it now. And i saw your message after the fact so i realize that you entered the info. hank you. I adjusted it and added whatever info I know

• Wow
Reactions: Texas Splash
I went to Leslie's today to have my water checked in the meantime. I knew the chlorine level was low b/c when i opened my container to add more tabs water had gotten in so the tabs were mostly disintegrated. The smell hit me hard. I'm still coughing 3 hours later. I took a pic of the results. The chlorine level should be better now b/c i shocked the pool when i got back.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.