Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So...I know salt doesnt evaporate. But in the case where water evaporates, doesnt refilling the pool eventually dilutes the salt in the pool given that fresh water is being added?

If my pool is losing salt, is the only reason a potential leak?

So...I know salt doesnt evaporate.

Correct.

But in the case where water evaporates, doesnt refilling the pool eventually dilutes the salt in the pool given that fresh water is being added?

So when water evaporates the salt stays and the salt level PPM would rise if you didn't add water.

Adding water back to the original water level restores the salt to the original PPM before evaporation.

If my pool is losing salt, is the only reason a potential leak?

Pretty much, or splashout or draining or backwashing.

My CH has been around 130 and haven’t moved much. But my CYA is definitely on the low side 21 today but have not been higher than 26. I haven’t topped up since I was advised by my local pool not to do so since it is early in the season and temps are still on the cool side. Could it be that I am loosing salt because my CYA is low?

But my CYA is definitely on the low side 21 today but have not been higher than 26.

How do you measure CYA 21 versus 26 with your K2006 test kit?

The scale between the lines are logarithmic, not liner and you cannot eyeball values between the lines. Halfway between lines is not 5. Therefor we round up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we round up and call it 30. The CYA test is on precises to +/- 10 ppm. You can't tell the difference between 21 and 26.

How do you measure CYA 21 versus 26 with your K2006 test kit?

The scale between the lines are logarithmic, not liner and you cannot eyeball values between the lines. Halfway between lines is not 5. Therefor we round up. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we round up and call it 30. The CYA test is on precises to +/- 10 ppm. You can't tell the difference between 21 and 26.
Good question…and apologize for not clarifying. I have been testing my pool with the k2006 kit and add chemicals based on that. But I have also been taking my water to a local pool store just for validation. First year with a pool, so just making sure I am testing correctly.

A man with two watches does not know what time it is.

Why do you think the pool store testing is better and validates your testing?

Trust your testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.