Losing prime on filter setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIPoolguy19

Jun 14, 2020
RI
Hello all,

looking for some advice on a hayward de 36 filter with new super pump. This is my first year owning the pool and when it was opened the pump motor was seized. I replaced the motor and hooked everything back up.

when on filter mode I lose prime in about 10-15 minutes. Recirculate works fine, along with backwash, rinse, etc. I have backwashed, cleaned grids, replaced de, replaced pump basket and the gasket that goes to lid. Tightened everything I can see. Still losing prime when in filter mode.

Any other suggestions out there?

Last edited:
Reactions: jmarkou
I read an old forum here about the same exact issue, they said they ended up backwashing for 5 minutes and it fixed it. That has not worked for me. I have a video but I’m not sure how to post it.

I think I might be in the same boat...

The thing in the photo -- I prime it and then start my filter. It fills up but almost always has bubbles in it.

My brother in law tells me he doesn't think it should. A pool guy told me it doesn't matter.
But you can audibly hear that it seems to weaken - and the water level drops to about 10% in there -- before catching itself back up.

Is that the same thing happening to you RIPoolguy?

The thing in the top of this photo:

20200614_224616.jpg20200614_224616.jpg

When I start it up with good prime it is at 20 psi. Once I lose prime it is about the same maybe a little above 20 but below 25.
I can't make that make sense. If you are at 20 psi with the pump primed and running, that sounds OK. But, if you say it stays at 20 or higher when you lose prime, either your gauge is not working or you are not losing prime.

If you drop prime, your psi should drop to ZERO or fluctuate erratically between maybe 20 and zero.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine fluctuates for sure. Just as you are describing -- and this morning when I looked - it fluctuated in backwash for sure -- seems to be steady in rinse.
Previous house owner told me 10psi was right and he would backwash at 20psi.
Right now -- post backwash, rinse -- repeat -- AND after opening and cleaning the filter with a hose - I go back to 20psi within minutes.
I just hit Angieslist for some quotes for someone to come look at it all once and for all.
My pool looks worse today than when I opened it last week.

Last edited:
@RIPoolguy19 @Lucky13F Have you both removed the skimmer lid (with pump off) and lubed the o-ring under the lid, it doesn't take a large gap for the strong pump to suck air in from a poorly sealed lid.

If the pump is pulling from a skimmer, is the skimmer full of water with pump running? (water level should be at least half-way up the skimmer mouth)

I've not replaced the O-Ring nor Have I lubed it -- but I can do both.
I am still waiting for someone to contact me from the Angieslist "request a quote" -- But I will definitely let you know what they say.
I am hoping there is no crack in anything underground in the meantime.

Yes I’m afraid it is underground as well. Next year I am replacing concrete and will be replacing all underground lines then.

I am going to hope to rule that out today by filling up the pool to a specific mark - and taking a photo in case. I just did that.
Now I am gonna do nothing else today except let the filter run.
And touch nothing else.
Sometime tonight I'll go re-measure.
And join multiple religions today also. :sneaky:

Tomorrow I'll take a look at that O-ring.

The pool guys called and as one might expect cannot come until next week. So I booked it. Because around here they are the all-star team apparently.

I'll keep you in the loop if I learn anything worth saying.

Last edited:
Well now it is morning --- and zero water loss. Which I hope means there is no underground leak.
Today I am going to go take a look at that O-Ring.

To leave my pump / filter running all night - all I needed to do is tell my Electric Company my bank account and routing number and how to access my retirement savings...

OK. Truth is -- I have a timer on it -- I just removed the pin settings so it had no shut off [or start] on it -- the dial just spins and spins.

My water level was "perfect" -- meaning there is a little mark on the skimmer of where the pool should be filled to -- in general -- and that is where I stopped fillng it with the hose yesterday - and where it still is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.