Losing Prime - am I thinking about this correctly.

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Ok, so can someone double check my logic?

I have a Hayward SuperPumpII that is loosing prime when the pool is off for a while (several hours). Because I don't want the pump to run dry, I've left it running 24hours, it keeps the pool clean, it also keeps my wallet clean if you know what I mean.

So I assumed air is getting in the line on the suction side? It takes a bit to prime also because the pump is up about maybe 12" from the water level, but in theory, if no air can get in, then that line should stay full of water and hold it's prime, am I understanding that right?

Furthermore I've noticed that when I have the skimmer side of my 3way valve open, then it gets a lot of air in the pump basket, if I close it and pull from the main drain only, then after a couple minutes there is NO air in the pump basket (I should mention that the water level in the skimmer is never a problem). So if I'm thinking about this correctly, then there's a suction side air leak in my skimmer line. There's one splice where it goes from the black poly tube that comes out of the ground, (barbed to PVC Union) then into PVC Flex, up to a union on the 3 way valve. so all of those are potential leak points. Any suggestion on how to easily see if they are leaking?

I assume once I fix that leak it will be easier to prime the pump when it turns on, but I'm also wondering if it's worth while pulling a check valve in between the 3 way and the pump inlet, at least then the pump would not empty of water (of course the problem I see with this is that when the pump shuts off, all the water from the pump to the filter head will come rushing down and I won't be able to open the pump without water spilling anywhere.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on this bit of plumbing.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything about the setup.
Thanks

Joey

I would check a few things first.

1) Is the pool level mid-way up the skimmer or more?

2) Does the weir door swing without sticking?

If the answer is yes to both of those, then it is possibly a line leak somewhere.

I am not sure what your setup is exactly, but I was having the exact same issue and it turned out to be the O ring on my filter basket housing. I replaced it and lubed the new one and all my issues went away. Might be worth the 6 dollars for a new gasket if you are not certain it is not the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.