Losing Pressure When Attaching manual vacuum hose

Jun 13, 2018
midland City, al
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum, but not to above ground pools. Last summer my pump went out and I waited until this season to replace it with a new one. I had the Intex 2600 GPH sand filter pump and upgraded, or so I thought, to the Intex 3000 GPH pump. I also have a salt water chlorinator hooked to it and a skimmer basket.

Issue: The pump works fine with the salt water pump and skimmer basket attached. When I go to vacuum, using a manual vacuum with a hose that attaches to the inlet on the pool, (I remove the skimmer hose to do this) I immediately lose pressure and don't have enough suction on the vacuum to pick up much of anything. The strainer basket on the pump fills with bubbles and the water level in it drops about halfway. I never had this issue with any other pump I've used, and have had several over the years. I finally called Intex, twice, and after a lengthy discussion and no solution, they decided to send me a new pump which I'm still waiting on to arrive supposedly sometime later this week. My question, which they never seemed to understand (they kept telling me to hook the hose to the inlet and it would work...no, it doesn't work) is that the pump works fine until I hook the vacuum hose to it.

What I've done thus far: Make sure the hose is full of water and no air in it. I even read on here about holding it to the outlet jet to fill with water and then hook it to inlet. Didn't work. Took all the fittings off, checked gaskets and et, put them back on, replaced one hose between pump and inlet at pool 'just because' and still doesn't work. Checked the gasket on the strainer basket, seems to be fine. It doesn't seem to suck any air until I hook up the hose and the hose fittings are tight and doesn't seem to have any leaks that I can see. The hose is actually almost brand new, bought last year just before our pump went out so we really didn't use it too much, but it did work at that point with no issue. The only other thing we've changed is buying a new vacuum head. We also did replace the outlet jet thingie (sorry whatever it's called) with the new one that came with the pump, but didn't change the inlet because it had a strainer and no place to hook a vacuum hose or the skimmer hose. I do notice that the outlet has a air release valve on it (guess that's what it's called?) and the original plunger which we put back on it also has one. The new valve is more open with a black sort of cap that goes on top. The plunger valves have the screw in kind. What are these for anyway? Even though it's on the outlet side we're thinking of replacing the new one back with the old one, though from what I've read and researched, if there is an air leak causing the issue, it should be on the inlet side between pump and inlet jet.

Oh, I've also backwashed and rinsed until I'm blue in the face. I also used the 21 grade silica sand better quality sand which it said to use. I don't understand why our old pump that had less power worked great, while this one which is suppose to be slightly more powerful doesn't work at all with the vacuum.

Sorry to be so long winded, trying to give enough info to maybe get some solution to the issue. Can anyone suggest anything else? I'm not sure a new pump is going to fix anything as the pump we have works great until the hose is hooked to it. Even the skimmer basket works great. In the meantime I can't clean the bottom of the pool. Thanks in advance!

what kind of head is you new vacuum? if one like this, it can get sucked down to the floor and prevent flow. do you still have your old vacuum head to try?
026497003027.jpg

Thank you for the response. It doesn't look like that one but is similar. It's more of cheap version, no wheels, just brush bristles that glide along the bottom of the pool. This is an above ground pool with vinyl liner. I've held the vacuum head up, or turned it upside down while still under water to see if that were an issue, but still didn't work. Thinking of buying a different style head to see if it might be an issue somewhere. I don't have the old one. We cleaned the shed last season and unfortunately tossed most of the older stuff that had worn out.

To anyone with a similar issue, we narrowed it down, at least partly, to a faulty plunger. We put an old plunger on that we had lying around and the vacuum finally worked without sucking in air. We also changed out the outlet on the out-take side removing the extra piece with the extra air release valve. This didn't fix it btw. Only issue is now, the water pressure being pushed back into the pool from the outlet jet doesn't seem as strong as before, though the pump seems to be keeping the right pressure. Could be because the new outlet cover has a bunch of holes plus an opening in the middle of that where water comes out. The other one, the new one that came with the pump, had a cover on the holes that directed the water out of the one large hole, which when working correctly was a pretty strong force. Not sure if this will cause issues later. Also, we took the top off the sand filter itself and the sand seems to be filled with tiny pieces of 'litter', small bits of leaves et. We have backwashed like clockwork so not sure why this isn't cleaning and not sure what to do to clean it? Anyway, just thought I"d update that except for these minor issues, so far so good with the vac. Thank you.

Thank you for the video on the deep cleaning! I've watched it and will trying this myself. The only thing I wonder is, it's a brand new pump, only used this year recently. Can't understand how it could get dirty so quick, as we filled the pool with fresh water upon opening it this year in May. We did have a lot of rain and storms though, and of course the vacuuming issue. Thanks again!

If it is what I'm thinking, the problem lies with your Plunger Valves on the outside of the pool where your return line goes to your pump.
Some of these had a vacuum release valve on them that open when too much pressure is applied.
I had the same problem of losing pressure and it drove me mad.
Some folks recommend taping that release valve closed, but I suggest plugging it completely, or buying new plunger valves that do not have that vacuum release part.
The people at Intex tried to tell me those vacuum release valves were for "aerating the return water for folks who want bubbles". They should really try to train their customer support people to lie a bit better than that.
I hope this helps you or anyone else having this same problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.