Losing FC too quick?

berddog123

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2017
Kansas City, MO
SW pool opened 3 wks ago. Water looks great. CYA 65. Water Temp mid 80’s. Salt at 3300. FC two mornings ago was 1.4. Added 3 gall bleach and bumped intellichor 30-36. That evening FC was 10.0. Next morn FC was 6. Bumped intellicholr 36-42. That eve FC was 3.0. Added 1 gall bleach. This morning 5.0. Tonight FC was 1.8. Vacuumed every night, filter is clean, skimmers cleaned 2x a day. What’s ur move? Keep bumpin intellichlor? Shock it? Has auto cover we keep closed unless using but lotsa flowering trees dropping now.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
If you were losing that much chlorine even with the swg generating then you clearly have something in the water consuming the chlorine. You need to follow the process.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
bd,

If you did not have an auto-cover, then you would have to run your cell at 100% for 11 hours to generate 3 ppm of chlorine... You did not say how long you are running your pump...

But with the cover closed, I would expect your FC usage would be 1 or 1.5 ppm per day...

At 30% output, even running for 12 hours only gives you about 1 ppm of FC...

Instead of starting your percentage low, you should start at 90 or 100% and then work down....

I also suspect because your FC was so low you now have an algae bloom... I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm or not... Here is how.

If you fail the OCLT, you will need to do a full SLAM...

Thanks,

Jim R.

berddog123

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Awesome. Thanks for the insight everyone. I am running the pump around the clock. I'll check it when I get home but suspect I need to slam it. If it's close to where it was yesterday pm I'll just slam it, thought process being, even WITH the SWG running I lost 4 FC ppm overnight...and have been chasing it ever since.