Los Angeles Build - Signed Contract

Digging is now complete, rebar is scheduled for Monday and waiting for plumbing to be scheduled as well.

Photo of dig:
6gbgM2ol.png

And what I'm thinking about deck wise, the grass is probably going to be artificial or put planters and some trees/landscape that won't throw leaves everywhere. Any ideas?
The width is about 47'x17' to the pool not counting the sides/back etc.

BugPzmnl.jpg

There is no way I would even try to have any kind of plants, except fake ones, that close to my pool. Fake turf it is! LOL OR you can do a rock garden! Have statues throw in to give extra interest as well.

Have you been out with your plans and a measuring tape yet? Add about 8" for gunite, steel, and plaster. Is it wide, long, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed/wanted.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim, I will be measuring later today/tomorrow. Went to NPT store again to get a better idea on exactly what we want. Looking to do the spa/watertile in the Artic lagoon glass tile I posted before towards the beginning of this post. Go with a medium grey precast concrete (bellecrete) and quartzscape French Grey I think. The grey color should show up on the step/baja shelf and the spa I assume since it's shallower and after that give a decent color? If not wife likes Midnight Blue, any thoughts?

Rebar is half way done and will be completed by tomorrow.

I3ZMQS8l.jpg

The darker the color the more you risk mottling :( It really depends on the skills of the installers. So far, in the years I have been "helping" to build pools, I have seen one dark plaster that did not have some kind of mottling. Some are worse than others so.............Do a search using the word mottling and see what kinds of hits you get.

SO happy you are staying with "my" tile!

Thanks Kim, i've been seeing photos of grey/darker colors. It is probably better to try to stay away if possible LOL.

For the spa, I am looking to do all 4 top sides in glass, and all 4 sides in glass as well, I think it will look nice, a bit worried about some of the glass that won't be submerged in the water though. The pool waterline will be the same, I am thinking all 1x1 glass tile, instead of going with 1x1 glass on spa and 1x2 on pool water line, but might be a nice change up also. Honestly don't know!

I'll continue my research for now.

Forgot to post updates. Plumbing inspection passed with no problem, on Monday gunite guys showed up at 6:30am and were done by 12-1pm.
Setup 2 manual sprinklers on a timer so I didn't have to be home to water it down but I am still hand watering in the morning and at night.

xGQZmgEl.png

y5ehQYsl.jpg

MRjMcl1l.jpg

Some plumbing photos

CDGYELDl.jpg

Now I just need to water for 10 more days or so

Good job bonding with your pool!

Here is YOUR set of links. You have reached the part of the build where it is time for you to start learning how to care for your new baby pool. These links will help!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Also ask your PB what test kit he is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update, the artic lagoon I wanted was in very low stock and they could not promise the correct colors coming in from different warehouses. I went ahead and ordered Sunstone Lagoon (same as Tony's tile) it was a lot cheaper as well so I went a bit to town with the glass bling LOL.

As of today this is how far they got done, still missing top of spa, 2 back sides, finish waterline tile, and missing tile on 2nd step rider and all "trim" tile on steps, baja shelf, and spa seats/deep end seat.

Pool builder didn't calculate tile correctly so now need to wait for more tile to deliver from Florida to Los Angeles, bummer.

I think it's coming out awesome, I might do Quartzscape Granadine Gray, thoughts?

nr34PT2h.jpg

6x6FnXwh.jpg

P3WQOSmh.jpg

q4Y7ygkh.jpg

eASZkvuh.jpg

I am in BLING :queen: heaven! HAPPY SIGH as I look at it............hold going back up for a min.......................so pretty!

Sad to hear they did not have enough :( Here is hoping it will come in fast!

The gray plaster will look awesome with that tile! What color grout will you use on the tile?

Have them use plaster INSTEAD of grout on the benches and steps. It comes out much better that way.

Went with Delorean Gray grout it's a bit darker than the photo shows. The 2nd step it will be tiled only on the riser part to match the bottom of the spa wall.

Here are some photos of the grout/tile, 4-5 more days until rest of the tile arrives.

ASaSXEwh.jpg

rqLEgSHh.jpg

UqiJ8R5h.jpg

My sister made a render a while ago to envision the pool, will probably end up doing an Ipe ground level deck around the pool. Still need to figure out how to remove the pavers or just put thick porcelain tile over the pavers (they are cemented/mortared on top of concrete!).

0ifqxIKh.jpg

Oh I like how your wrapped the tile up and over the walls. That is a neat touch.

No help on the decking except to say that is going to be hard to do :( I guess youcould try a corner to see if it is even possible to get it up.

Your tile looks beautiful [emoji7] That’s probably one of the neatest jobs I’ve seen!

As for your decking. Those pavers will come straight up with a jackhammer. Not sure if your decking will be real wood but timber decking is very popular here. I like the look but not the practicality. It can be incredibly slippery and needs regular maintenance more so than on a non pool deck due to the vast amounts of water it sees. There’s also the tannin that leaches out of it for a long time. If you’re going with a composite material that would eliminate a lot of those issues.

I have to fix the fence post prior to Quartzscape so maybe I'll try to jackhammer couple of the pavers see how easy it is to remove, if not I can just overlay a nice porcelain paver on top.

The Deck I was thinking about doing real Ipe wood deck, doesn't really rain much at all in Los Angeles and would only need to oil it and not stain it to maintain the rich dark color.

The Tile guys are doing a GREAT job, I only have to have them touch up very small areas but so far 100% great workmanship.

Do you guys think Granadine Gray Quartzscape will be good? Do I need to add hand casted abalone sheels? I don't want too much spotchyness/mottling? etc so hope it comes out well.

Thanks!

So pool contractor just emailed me, said to also look into Polishedscapes said it is smoother than regular plaster. Has anyone done this?

Also, a predecking inspection will be needed soon and I wanted to find out if I do a ground level deck do I need the wire bonding to go under the deck like 4-6" below it? I might build the small deck myself (it's only like 3-4 feet around the pool) for now.

PolishedScapes Pool Finishes | National Pool Tile Group
"Polished Pool Finishes

PolishedScapes is an extremely smooth blend of aggregates and glass that is polished using diamond pool polishers. The Glass and aggregate accents create a sparkling effect in the sun to make PolishedScapes amaking to look at, as well as being as smooth as silk. PolishedScapes is the premium finish in the pool plaster industr. A smooth surface, combined with the proven durability of exposed aggregates (like pebble pool plaster), are two prime features of this state-of-the-art pool finish.
With unique color selections and natural variegated appearance, PolishedScapes complements all poolscape designs. This polished pool surface creates a finish that is naturally resistant to spot etching, topical stains, permanent scale and algae adhesion.
Imagine that…timeless beauty and maintenance free finish.
PolishedScapes can be re-polished years down the road. So if you have a pool with this finish that was neglected for some time, the finished can be polished again to make it new again. This is the true beauty of PolishedScape, that you cannot do with any other Pool Plaster finish. "

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.