Dollarwr

Jan 4, 2021
Spring, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Having a problem with CYA. My CYA Level 19 days ago was 45 PPM. Recently my chlorine level has been dropping upwards of 5 ppm during the day. I did a OCLT and it went from 5 to 4.6 so it passed. So I went ahead and tested my CYA and it was 25 PPM. I added stabilizer and got it back up to 40 PPM. Still experiencing around 4-5 ppm chlorine loss in a day. Pool spends most of the day in the direct sunlight. Is this an acceptable loss for chlorine and CYA? Pool is new and has had water in it since February. Thanks.

With the recent rainstorm on May 1 & 2 in the Houston area, I lost about 10ppm of CYA and my FC level dropped as well. Then with the sun back out strong since then, it has been consuming FC. Not sure if you have overflow drain but with all that rain it sure changed my pool water chemistry. I also lost 50ppm of CH. I have been working it everyday to get it back to its appropriate levels.

With the recent rainstorm on May 1 & 2 in the Houston area, I lost about 10ppm of CYA and my FC level dropped as well. Then with the sun back out strong since then, it has been consuming FC. Not sure if you have overflow drain but with all that rain it sure changed my pool water chemistry. I also lost 50ppm of CH. I have been working it everyday to get it back to its appropriate levels.
Thanks that makes me feel a lot better! Yes I have an overflow drain and I also lost about 50 ppm CH. I did not realize how much rain could really affect a pool! What do you usually keep your CYA at? I been shooting for 45 because app suggest 40-50 ideal. Should it be higher for how hot and sunny or area gets? I am flying through gallons of liquid chlorine!

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better! Yes I have an overflow drain and I also lost about 50 ppm CH. I did not realize how much rain could really affect a pool! What do you usually keep your CYA at? I been shooting for 45 because app suggest 40-50 ideal. Should it be higher for how hot and sunny or area gets? I am flying through gallons of liquid chlorine!
Last summer I stayed at 60-70 CYA. Due to the freeze and rain, my CYA dropped to 30 and I am now working that back up to 50. I plan to be away for several weeks in summer so I will use pucks that full time, therefore I do not want to get my CYA too high right now but agree, using more LC now then this time last year. Good Luck.

Yeah, I lost around 10+ppm of CYA in the recent storms. Check weekly if it is raining a lot. My pool SWG wasn't keeping up and the CYA was the reason. I'm back up to 70 ppm CYA and all is good again.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.