LoopLoc Anchor Stuck in "Up" position.

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi folks:

I opened my pool for the first time by myself. Pretty easy, really. All went according to plan...EXCEPT one of the brass grommets used to hold my LoopLoc cover is completely seized in the "up" position. It won't budge in either direction. Completely seized.

I've tried lubricating it, using larger allen wrenches with more torque, using vice grips, etc. Even watched some youtube videos. But I can't get it to budge.

Any suggestions on how I can free it to either take it out or (ideally) recess it down for the swim season? Naturally, this one bugger is right by the steps into the pool.

I have been able to work mine out with vice grips when it’s in the up position. Then, new replacement anchor bolts from Amazon.

Thanks folks. WD-40 and the oil didn't work. I bought the drill, tap, threaded rod, nuts from the video on the right. Bolt sheared off inside the ancor when I tried to extract.

NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Can I use a crowbar?
The brass is pretty soft and you’ll probably break off the part you’re prying, but you can give it a shot.

Last resort is breaking concrete, likely.

Do you have a picture of the anchor?

You can cut the anchor off flush with the deck if necessary.

Then, maybe try the extraction process again or just install a new anchor in front of or behind the old anchor.

Or, you can core drill around the anchor with a core drill bit that has an inner diameter just slightly larger than the anchor. Then, use grout to mortar in the new anchor. You can probably rent a core drill and bit or just buy a bit at the hardware store.

Using a crowbar is likely to spall up the concrete and I would advise against it.

Last edited:
234DE5AB-AF81-45FA-AEE7-B589F22F1714.jpeg
F28BEBF1-5240-48AE-8965-9DF0B4FCBA2E.jpeg

Photos attached. You can see I’ve just soaked it in the Kano penetrating oil. And you can see the 5/16 threaded rod is sheared off inside

I’ve managed to turn it 1/8th or a turn with my vice grips but have shredded it in the process. Worried I’m going to have nothing left.

Any advice on how to get a better grip with vice grips? This thing just won’t turn.
Should I use heat? Blowtorch to maybe loosen threads with heat?

I would cut it off flush with the deck or core drill it out.

You will need something to stabilize the core drill on startup.

Get a 2x4 and put a hole in it that exactly fits the outside of the core drill bit and use that as a guide when starting the drill.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.