Loop Loc estimate seems crazy

Sep 28, 2020
San Antonio, TX
I recently had someone come out and take measurements for a loop loc cover for my in-ground pool, and am a bit flabbergasted by the estimate. $10,782 to install a pool cover. I know this is a quality cover, but it seems high. My pool is rather large (1581 square feet according to the guy who took the measurements). He said due to the pool size I was being charged a commercial rate. Does this sound right? I've reached out to several different companies and these are the only people that actually got back to me so I have no other price points to compare to.

Reactions: Pool Fool 2
A few years ago, pre Covid, I got a proposal to redo my Meyco solid pool cover on my 20x50 pool for $7.000-$8,0000. Given the proce hikes I would not be suprised if it was over $10K now. I have been keeping my existing cover going with patching the holes that develop.

I have a 20x50 rectangular pool with a diving board which requires mods to the cover. I got a solid loop loc last sept installed for $7800.

I just ordered a 20X40 dense mesh Looploc for $2750, install was $500.

I am assuming the dealer cost is around $1600 because that was my deposit and the store I went through doesn't know me.

LoopLoc is 40 minutes from me so freight further away could easily add a few hundred dollars.

The measurements are way off at almost 1600 Sq ft. That's a 40×40 pool, or 32x50. And to have 35k gallons in a pool that large it would only be 3 ft deep. So something ain't right. A 40x40 (or equivalent) commercial cover is a fair price for what you were quoted. But that's not what you need.

Reactions: Pool Fool 2
I just ordered a 20X40 dense mesh Looploc for $2750, install was $500.

I am assuming the dealer cost is around $1600 because that was my deposit and the store I went through doesn't know me.

LoopLoc is 40 minutes from me so freight further away could easily add a few hundred dollars.

The measurements are way off at almost 1600 Sq ft. That's a 40×40 pool, or 32x50. And to have 35k gallons in a pool that large it would only be 3 ft deep. So something ain't right. A 40x40 (or equivalent) commercial cover is a fair price for what you were quoted. But that's not what you need.

Hmm you're right that does seem off. The pool is about 45 ft long, but only about 25 ft at its widest point (It's shaped kind of like an 8). That should be 1000 sqft max.

These guys took a $350 deposit just to do the estimate, but now I'm feeling like I need to have someone else come out and do a fresh measurement.

The pool is about 45 ft long, but only about 25 ft at its widest point (It's shaped kind of like an 8). That should be 1000 sqft max.
They may go with a rectangle and it would be 1125 if they did. Even if they custom make you an '8' shaped cover, every LL cover is custom made for the client (per their website) so that doesn't make it more expensive.

Something ain't right. (y)

I just got a quote to rebuild my loooloc cover from 20years ago and it’s about $4k. That’s just a replacement cover, new deck fittings, etc. no installation. Over $10k sounds pretty high, especially since they charged a $350 fee to just get an estimate? That would have pushed me away.

I just got a quote to rebuild my loooloc cover from 20years ago and it’s about $4k. That’s just a replacement cover, new deck fittings, etc. no installation. Over $10k sounds pretty high, especially since they charged a $350 fee to just get an estimate? That would have pushed me away.

It should have pushed me away as well. Unfortunately, I reached out to multiple companies and these were the only guys to get back to me, and I'm sort of desperate to get a cover before fall rolls in.

Further fishiness: I did finally find someone else who can give me an estimate, and they contacted LoopLoc who reported they did not have anything on record for my address. At this point I'm definitely not comfortable going with the initial estimate. Sucks if I'm out $350, but better than being out $10k I suppose.

The pool is about 45 ft long, but only about 25 ft at its widest point (It's shaped kind of like an 8). That should be 1000 sqft max.
28 x 48 (cover size) is 1,344 square feet and it is a custom cut (3 x 3 webbing) with a spa included.

The square feet size is based on the smallest rectangle the pool can be enclosed in plus 3 feet each way for overlap.

The two poles might require cutouts if they interfere with the placement of the cover.

1663260721568.png

The cost for the estimate covers the time it takes to come out and measure the pool, which can take a few hours when you consider the drive both ways, the AB measurements (probably 50 points), the forms to fill out etc.

How long did they spend measuring the pool?

Since they charged you for the estimate, they should give you the measurements.

Overall, the price seems high, but unless you can find a different company that will give you a better price or you can negotiate a better price, it’s pretty much take-it-or-leave-it since you don’t have any options.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a recent quote from an online dealer that does business with looploc, perhaps they know of a contractor that is in the area.

Even if they custom make you an '8' shaped cover, every LL cover is custom made for the client (per their website) so that doesn't make it more expensive.
They have standard premade covers and they are cheaper than the custom covers.

There are plenty of standard shapes and sizes that they have premade and sitting on a shelf ready to ship out.

A 20 x 40 rectangle is a standard shape and size that is available as a premade cover.

Reactions: Newdude
33 x 48 = 1,584 total square feet of cover area, which is about what the estimate said.

Was the quote for a solid, mesh or dense mesh?
Mesh. Adding 3 ft makes sense because of course the cover has to extend past the pool, which definitely gets the square footage they gave closer to making sense. It does seem odd that the cost would be based on measuring the largest possible rectangle you would need to cover the pool when the actual cover would not be anywhere near that size.

I'll take a look at the links you provided, thanks. I filled out the form on the loop loc website and received emails from several dealers, but only 2 responded to my followup mails.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.