Looking to upgrade to variable pump

Jul 18, 2018
Midlothian, TX
Hello,

My A.O. Smith motor has gone out on my Jandy pump and I think it's time for an upgrade to a variable speed pump. The current pump is a very old Jandy PHPU2.0 with an 2 HP A.O. Smith motor. My pool is 12,000 Gallons with 52 feet of head. I calculated my pool at 25 GMP. So, is the 2 HP Jandy setup oversized? It seems like I could use a smaller pump? Here are the selections I have narrowed it down to....

Thank you for any advice.
Ben

Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.5 HP
Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP
Hayward SP2602VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool 1.5 HP
Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP

20180719_063235.jpg

20180712_062838.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I would suggest gathering your information on your pump and motor and calling Inyopools. They can walk you through the various options, including whether a two speed motor installed on your existing pump is viable.

If you are interested in TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Great. I am curious. Why multiple pumps when based on your signature this is a smaller, simple pool design?

The one on the left goes to a Polaris floor cleaner, and the pump in the middle goes to a waterfall over a stone structure. The waterfall pump is also a Jandy PHPU2.0 with a 2HP A.O. Smith motor. I will be upgrading that one next. I was thinking of maybe getting one of these from inyopools.... see below. But that will be in a couple months. Also, here is a picture of the waterfall...

Thank you,
Ben

20180721_100219.jpg

waterfall pump options....
waterfall pump.jpg

I really like my Pentair superflow vs. I decided to go with Pentair on a pump due to their great reputation. My filter is Hayward because there is limited dealer support in my area for Pentair or I would have just got a Pentair filter also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.