Looking to add SWG

dr.dirty

Jan 21, 2021
Hesperia, CA
Pool Size
Hey guys I'm looking to add a SWG to my pool soon. Right now I have a Pentair 320 erosion feeder and I am not happy with the functionality and reliability of it. I am looking at adding either a Pentair IC40 or IC 60. I have the Easy touch PSL4 (I know its not the best but it fit my budget) panel so I can add the Transformer fairly easy to my set up.

These are my pump run times as of now :

Pool 1350 RPM 8 am - 8pm
Pool High 2500 RPM 8 am-1 pm

Do you guys think the IC 60 would be a better buy? I'm not sure if bigger is better in this situation as I know very little about SWG and I am just beginning my research. Thank you for your help!

152695202_10158363970338229_7569398311814973686_n.jpg

Either one will work fine for your size pool.

With your 16K pool and 12 hour pump runtime the IC40 would need to run at 60% and the IC60 at 40% for 3ppm.

You will also need to buy the Power Center.

Either one will work fine for your size pool.

With your 16K pool and 12 hour pump runtime the IC40 would need to run at 60% and the IC60 at 40% for 3ppm.

You will also need to buy the Power Center.

I should have added I already ordered the power center. With the IC 60 needing to run at 40% would that prolong the life of the cell?

You will get more life out if a IC60 since it has more generating capacity but it will cost you more. Cost per ppm will be about the same between cells.

So going by today’s amazon prices as an example, the IC40 is $889 and the IC60 is $959. In theory the IC60 will last 50% longer than the IC40, yet only cost 8% more.

For you, the IC40 is already 2.66 times the production per volume of your pool so it’s plenty oversized already. But the IC60 is an even better ROI if you so choose.

the power center is the same for either so it washes out whichever way you choose.

Do be ware that the electronics in the Intellichlor are not so robust they will last forever. 5-7 years is about max. You might get lucky and last longer. In Hesperia, the pad must be out of the direct sun or shaded or you will have a number of electronic items not last as long as they could.

Reactions: Newdude
Yup, the early failure risk can kill all the ROI analysis.

You pay your money and take your chances.

Yup, the early failure risk can kill all the ROI analysis.

You pay your money and take your chances
Adding YET another calculated risk is that a power surge or lightning strike can erase either investment making the IC40 the clear winner to want to lose.

Ahhhhhhh decisions decisions. Gotta love em !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do be ware that the electronics in the Intellichlor are not so robust they will last forever. 5-7 years is about max. You might get lucky and last longer. In Hesperia, the pad must be out of the direct sun or shaded or you will have a number of electronic items not last as long as they could.

I have added a solar shade that covers the pad because the sun destroys everything out here.

Well you can’t go wrong with the IC40, it’s already plenty oversized. The only question is if you’d like to take the calculated risk that the IC60 lasts even longer without electronic failure before the plates are depleted. For $200 from your supplier I’d lean IC40, For the $70 amazon upgrade before (they change wildly, it could be different already) I’d go big and hope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.