Looking for thoughts on pool company pump & automation install quote

JotaDe

Dec 22, 2016
Austin, TX
hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my automation, pump, and lights. I'm choosing to pay more and have a local reputable pool company install the equipment so I get the warranty, and because I don't want to attempt it on my own. An issue I'm having is they exclusively use Jandy which I have a hard time price checking online since it's seemingly trade series equipment. I'd like to list out some of the quotes here to see if any of it is extremely overpriced in your opinion.

$3800 - Jandy iaqualink full automation seed, w/pro series power center, sub-panel 24vac, RS 6614-LD 2.0 upgrade kit, new board, cpu, control bezel, web connect with parts, materials, and labor

$2300 - Jandy trade series VS plus hp2.7 THP pump with parts, materials, labor, and programming

$2600 - J & J Electronics - Colorsplash XG Pool Light (quantity of 2), installed with parts, materials and labor

There are also a few hundred dollars more of parts that include positive seal 2 port valves, check valves, and suction side manifold. total bill is ~$12k.

I don't mind paying the this amount to get the job done right with quality equipment and warranty, but I want to ensure I'm not being completely hosed. I'm having a hard time finding what typical costs are for upgrades like this. And I'm new to having a pool (3 years) and just don't have the experience to know better about costs.

thanks for your help!

You’re definitely paying a high premium on all those items (eg, similar variable speed pumps can be found online for around $1,200) and I’m sure the contractor is getting a very good discount on all that stuff. The lighting seems way overpriced to me.

That said, you are getting a professional installer to do all the work and you should expect to get a good warranty from them. I would expect nothing less than a 3-5 year warranty on their work with labor & replacements covered in full for the first 12 months and then some prorated coverage thereafter. If all their offering you is a handshake guarantee that “they promise stuff won’t break and you’ll be really happy” then I’d keep looking.

In order to truly know if you’re getting a good deal, you’ve got to do more homework. You really need at least three quotes from other contractors. Its hard to find three quotes all with the same vendor (Jandy) so you might have to compare against other pool equipment manufacturers (Hayward & Pentair). But you definitely should be looking at multiple quotes. And, as with any contractor, they should provide you with references to contact. They can certainly say they’re “the most reputable” business around but proof of that comes from talking to other homeowners that have used their services.

I am indeed seeking additional quotes from other companies.

The company that provided the quote has been great in the service area. I've had them honor filter repairs for well over a year after service with no questions asked. I'm confident the warranty and service would be top notch, but I don't love the sky high costs.

We'll see what other local companies quote. thank you for sharing the info here!

That is a typical Pool Store price. The problem going with Jandy equipment is you are locked into that type of pricing not just for the initial installation but for future repair and replacement. Jandy has closed the doors for their equipment being sold through alternative channels as you found in trying to price check the equipment. Pool Builders like selling Jandy equipment for that reason.

Pentair still has reasonable policies for not relying on Pool Stores for repair and replacement of their equipment. Hayward is somewhere in between.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.