Looking for pool bonding wire

finethreads

Bronze Supporter
Feb 14, 2014
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I am in the process of installing a handrail for our sundeck. I dug a hole under the coping to the pool wall. I am looking for the bonding wire so I can ground my two bronze handrail anchors. I dug down about a foot down and away from wall and see no bonding wire. Am I looking in the right place?

Can you post a picture of your pool?

The bonding loop (if there is one) should be about 4" to 6" deep and about 24" from the pool wall. However, they could have used the rebar for bonding and not ran a wire loop per-se.

For your type of installation you would have been better off using a mount that did not require bonding. Check out handrails and mounts by Saftron.

I bought a Safton Rail last year from Innovative Pool Products and two EZ Anchors because I did not want to cut up concrete to find the bonding wire. I rented a core drill and drilled two holes for the anchors and it turned out great. I needed my rail to be removable because of my cover.

Attachments

• 2018-05-11 09.24.37s.jpg
    2018-05-11 09.24.37s.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2018-05-11 13.17.20s.jpg
    2018-05-11 13.17.20s.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: JamesW
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Here are a couple of photos of my pool where I am installing a handrail. I will check farther back under the pavers for the bonding wire. I can also bring over a new wire (70' run) and bring it to my handrail. I am thinking of placing the handrail just before the corner of the sun deck (near area where pavers were removed) so that people can exit to either the left side or right side of the handrail. I am thinking of placing the handrail with one hole on the coping and the other into concrete under the pavers. I ordered the longer 6" anchors to accommodate the pavers. I am going to pour concrete under the coping and against the side of the pool structure so that I have a solid structure for attaching the handrail.

I really like the Saftron handrails. It's not too late to change my mind so I will give it some thought as well.

IMG_20200513_154148.jpgIMG_20200513_154212.jpg

Traveling all summer and won’t return until end of August. Ordered and received a S.R. Smith Sealed Steel handrail before my departure. Arrived all nicked up due to the unattached escutcheons rattling around inside the box. Very nice handrail. Will order another one upon my return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.