Panzer

Jun 2, 2009
South Chicago burbs
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well after us having the house 10yrs (pool being about 17 yrs).. the top rails are corroded to the point that there are holes in them. Some are missing inches of material. It's a Zodic/Muskin that I can no longer find parts for so, we've been preparing to replace it this year. Intent was to use it this summer and replace it before fall.

Put money down with our local Doughboy dealer (Desert Spring 16x24) and was told the installer they use would contact me.
Waited a week... no contact. Went into the store & was told he'd been "on vacation", he'll definitely call today!
OK... wait 2 days; Nothing. Beginning to get worried.. do some checking online and find out while the pool dealer is well liked/rated; not so much for their above ground installer (they do their own IGP installs). Reviews talk about non-returned calls, being "ghosted" by installer; signed contracts he's ignored. I ask dealer if this is their only AGP installer. Yes.

I go back to dealer yesterday and he tells me "he'll be out to your house today". OK... I get a text an hour later saying can we meet today or tomorrow? I tell him "Yes, I'll make myself available." Weekend now gone by with no further contact.

So, now... I'm trying to figure out options. I'm not gonna let this guy on my property. I guess I can either find another Doughboy dealer or look to another brand. Only others I've thought about were Radiant, Aquasport 52 and don't know any dealers in our area for those.

I'm in the Chicago burbs and figured there would be plenty of reputable AGP installers. Unfortunately, based on reviews I'm reading that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't have the time or inclination to install the pool myself and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Was wondering if others have had similar experiences and what they'd do/change in hindsight??
Appreciate any thoughts.
Respectfully,
Automatic

The only advice I can offer is to look at the poolfactory.com Myself and many members have bought pools from them. If you're concerned about rust, their saltwater 5000 or saltwater 8000 pools are great because it's almost all resin.

Regarding an installer unfortunately you may have to just google someone.

Just an update... Was contacted by Doughboy directly and they referred us to another of their distributors (about an hour from us). Spoke to their sales staff there over the phone, very friendly and says that unlike most of the other dealers in our area, they do their own AGP installations. (a plus in my book) He gives me a ballpark quote over the phone but, says to come in if we want exact quote. So a couple days later we go out and although they're several hundred higher than the previous dealer, we put money down on another Doughboy.

Told by salesman that their installer would be in next day (Sunday) and give me a call to set up appt to come see the property and give me actual costs for installation. (At this point we've figured it's best to wait til Spring so there's no rush) Salesman tells me once we get the installation cost figured we can finalize things and get an install date set for Spring (they've already got several booked according to him).

No call Sunday but, Monday salesman calls me and says that they're sorry about the issue maybe the following weekend. OK... wait, NOTHING. They call back and say they'll call me this past Saturday to schedule a time for Sunday.

So, as you may guess. Sunday I get a call from Sales saying their AGP installer was hurt at work Saturday and won't be out. They'll find out how he's doing and call me during the week to reschedule... wait all this week NOTHING. So, after another 2 weeks with a different dealer, I'm still unable to get a cost proposal for a pool installation. And I keep hearing how this is their "slow season".

I don't know if others have gone through similar issues but, to be honest to whole thing is making me consider just taking the existing pool down and cancelling everything. I mean... there should be very little (if any) levelling required. I'm looking at the same size/shape pool. I'm not trying to bury it. No 'deep' areas. Yet, I'm still told that the cost could be "several thousand dollars ABOVE" the amount allotted for a virgin pool installation.

My neighbors with new pools (several) have all told me to steer clear of the various places they used... nightmare stories. I beginning to wonder how the AGP business survives at all.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Respectfully,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.