Looking for insights on DIY install of in-ground pool (Pool Warehouse kit)

May 17, 2021
Roselle, IL
Hello - longtime lurker, first-time poster. After receiving a few quotes from pool companies somewhere in the $90K - $150K range for a basic medium-sized pool (no upgrades), my family and I are looking to somewhat-DIY install an in-ground pool from Pool Warehouse. We are planning to subcontract all the grading/excavation and concrete work. This will be our first pool, so we need some advice! We built the pool package that we think is perfect for us on Pool Warehouse, and would like some input on what we are missing or need to upgrade (or even just what we need to consider). Please take a look at the package below, and provide any insights you have.

We appreciate your time!

Pool Walls42" Polymer$ 10650.00
Pool DirectionDirection - Turn Left or Curve Left, From Shallow End$ 0.00
Pool LinerLiner - 30 Mil - Samara$ 750.00
Pool BottomBottom Dig - 42" Wall Standard Diving Pool 3'4" Shallow End With 8' Deep End$ 0.00
Corner RadiusCorners - 6" Corner Radius$ 150.00
Pool CopingCoping - Cantilever Coping With Foam Concrete Forms 20'x40' And Up$ 695.00
Pool Wall BracesBraces - TURNBUCKLE Brace With 20 Deck Supports (Pools Up To 20'x40')$ 395.00
Polymer Pool StepNone$ 0.00
Liner Over Steel Pool StepSteel Step - 24' Wide Open Pour Top Step And Tanning Ledge$ 3195.00
Step LocationLocation - Center End Of Pool$ 0.00
Pool Bench/Swim OutNone$ 0.00
In Pool SpaNone$ 0.00
Spill Over SpasNone$ 0.00
Pool Step Jet KitStep Returns & Step Jets - 4 Grey Spa Jets With Air Intake For Polymer Steps$ 255.00
Deck JetsDeck Jets - 4 Deck Jets$ 395.00

Pool PumpPump - Variable Speed Hayward Tristar 2.7THP Vs950 Pump$ 1050.00
Pool FilterFilter - Hayward C5030 SwimClear Cartridge Filter, 150 GPM, 2"$ 995.00
Pool SkimmerSkimmer - 2 Grey Aqua Genie Skimmer And 1 Grey Return$ 335.00
Chlorination & Automation SystemsChlorination - Hayward OmniLogic Cat5 Smart Phone Controlled 40k Salt System$ 2225.00
Pool Plumbing KitPool Plumbing Kit - 2" Platinum Plumbing Kit w/ 6 Valves, 200' FLEX PVC, & Salt Anode & Water Bond$ 825.00
Pool CleanerCleaner Style - Hayward AquaVac 650, Touch Free Canister, With Caddy And Smart Phone Control$ 1350.00
Pool LightsLight - 3 Grey Trim Nicheless 1.5" Color LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V$ 1035.00
Light AccessoriesLight Accessories - Hayward Junction Box$ 75.00
Pool HeaterHeater - Hayward Heat-Pro Electric Heat Pump 110k btu Round Base$ 3695.00
Pool Diving BoardDiving Board - 6' Grey Diving Board With Flyte-Deck II Base$ 895.00
SlidesSlide - Riptide 7'8" Tall Gray, Left Turn$ 4195.00
Pool AlarmPoolguard In-Ground Pool Alarm PGRM-2$ 249.99
Pool HandrailHandrail - 2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Handrails w/ Polymer Anchors$ 150.00
Pool LadderLadder - 2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Deep End Ladders w/ Polymer Anchors$ 150.00
Pool Wall PaddingSteel Padding - 42" Walls, 2 Rolls Foam Padding (250'), 4 Cans Adhesive & Seam Tape$ 195.00
Maintenance Kit and Start Up ChemicalsKit Style - Deluxe Maintenance Kit with 40,000 Gallon Start Up Chemical Kit$ 180.00
Safety Rope KitSafety Rope Style - 22'-24' Safety Rope w/ Bullnose Rope Eyes$ 0.00
Lift GateLift Gate Service - Curb Side, LTL Freight Unloaded by Customer With Lift Gate, Fork Lift Needed$ 50.00
Shipping & Lead Time (Polymer 16 Weeks Minimum, Steel 16 Weeks Minimum)Shipping & Lead Time (Polymer 16 Weeks Minimum, Steel 16 Weeks Minimum) - Non-Western State$ 0.00
3d Swimming Pool LayoutNone

Hello - longtime lurker, first-time poster. After receiving a few quotes from pool companies somewhere in the $90K - $150K range for a basic medium-sized pool (no upgrades), my family and I are looking to somewhat-DIY install an in-ground pool from Pool Warehouse. We are planning to subcontract all the grading/excavation and concrete work. This will be our first pool, so we need some advice! We built the pool package that we think is perfect for us on Pool Warehouse, and would like some input on what we are missing or need to upgrade (or even just what we need to consider). Please take a look at the package below, and provide any insights you have.

We appreciate your time!

Pool BottomBottom Dig - 42" Wall Standard Diving Pool 3'4" Shallow End With 8' Deep End$ 0.00
Pool CopingCoping - Cantilever Coping With Foam Concrete Forms 20'x40' And Up$ 695.00
Pool Wall BracesBraces - TURNBUCKLE Brace With 20 Deck Supports (Pools Up To 20'x40')$ 395.00
Liner Over Steel Pool StepSteel Step - 24' Wide Open Pour Top Step And Tanning Ledge$ 3195.00
In Pool SpaNone$ 0.00
Pool Step Jet KitStep Returns & Step Jets - 4 Grey Spa Jets With Air Intake For Polymer Steps$ 255.00

Pool FilterFilter - Hayward C5030 SwimClear Cartridge Filter, 150 GPM, 2"$ 995.00
Chlorination & Automation SystemsChlorination - Hayward OmniLogic Cat5 Smart Phone Controlled 40k Salt System$ 2225.00
Pool Plumbing KitPool Plumbing Kit - 2" Platinum Plumbing Kit w/ 6 Valves, 200' FLEX PVC, & Salt Anode & Water Bond$ 825.00
Pool CleanerCleaner Style - Hayward AquaVac 650, Touch Free Canister, With Caddy And Smart Phone Control$ 1350.00
Pool LightsLight - 3 Grey Trim Nicheless 1.5" Color LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V$ 1035.00
Pool HeaterHeater - Hayward Heat-Pro Electric Heat Pump 110k btu Round Base$ 3695.00
Pool Diving BoardDiving Board - 6' Grey Diving Board With Flyte-Deck II Base$ 895.00
Pool HandrailHandrail - 2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Handrails w/ Polymer Anchors$ 150.00
Pool LadderLadder - 2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Deep End Ladders w/ Polymer Anchors$ 150.00
Pool Wall PaddingSteel Padding - 42" Walls, 2 Rolls Foam Padding (250'), 4 Cans Adhesive & Seam Tape$ 195.00
Maintenance Kit and Start Up ChemicalsKit Style - Deluxe Maintenance Kit with 40,000 Gallon Start Up Chemical Kit$ 180.00
Safety Rope KitSafety Rope Style - 22'-24' Safety Rope w/ Bullnose Rope Eyes$ 0.00
Lift GateLift Gate Service - Curb Side, LTL Freight Unloaded by Customer With Lift Gate, Fork Lift Needed$ 50.00
Shipping & Lead Time (Polymer 16 Weeks Minimum, Steel 16 Weeks Minimum)Shipping & Lead Time (Polymer 16 Weeks Minimum, Steel 16 Weeks Minimum) - Non-Western State$ 0.00
Measure and order your liner after your vermiculite is Complete. You won’t know what the measurements are for your base until it’s complete.

Do you really want your vermiculite exposed to the elements for weeks? Mine was on site before the dig even started. Fit like a glove with zero wrinkles and tight corners.

Do you really want your vermiculite exposed to the elements for weeks? Mine was on site before the dig even started. Fit like a glove with zero wrinkles and tight corners.
Is your pool a DIY or did you have a company build it?

We appreciate your time!

In Pool SpaNone$ 0.00

I am sure others will chime in. Overall everything looks good except for your salt system being a tad undersized... I would also scrap the flex PVC. Just run rigid for everything. Anther note as someone who is currently building a PWH pool. I was disappointed when I discovered the upgraded deck support turnbuckles didn't include the deadman concrete brackets as well. Not sure if it matters but they advertise it as a strongly recommended item yet when you upgrade they are no longer included?

Also, be prepared for a ton of damaged parts and shipments. I think it took me a total of 5 shipments to finally get everything (6+ months, quoted 10 weeks). Some other random thoughts.. If I were to redo it, I would have requested different light locations (First time for us as well and ordered prior to finding this fantastic site).

I did a poolwarehouse build at the end of last summer. You can see the build in the link in my sig below.

- Skip the plumbing kit and buy rigid schedule 40 pipe and fittings from the local supplier.
- The step return jets you selected are listed for polymer steps and have provisions for a blower which you don't have listed. If you want to move water over the steps you can use regular returns for that too.
- I have the exact same pump and 4 deck jets...if I had it to do over again I might do a waterfall instead of the deck jets. If I run all 4 deck jets I have to have the pump near 100% with the other returns operational. If you don't mind turning off some of the normal returns when the deck jets are running....you will be fine. I ended up capping 2 of mine and only running 2 with my normal returns open. I added an automated valve so I can use the omnilogic app on my phone to turn the deck jets on/off.
- By all means, get the liner with the kit....it could take months to get it after the fact. If you follow the dig sheet closely and do the vermiculite correctly the liner will fit just fine. I had never done a pool and mine fit like a glove.
- I did not see vermiculite in your list...I was able to get it locally from a hardware store cheaper than through pool warehouse. You might see if you can do the same and if not then get it from them too.

I had a good pool warehouse experience. Jones was my salesman and I had a few missing parts of my steps/sundeck and it took a couple of extra weeks to get those parts...other than that and COVID delaying everything last summer...it was all positive. I think shipping damage is largely due to who the carrier is. All of my stuff was packaged as good as you could ask for and obviously my delivery company did not tear anything up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.