Looking for feedback on levels, chlorine usage

Cgoesch

Mar 4, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Took over my pool care about a month ago, at which time I drained my pool (CYA was 150). It took me some time to get levels where they needed to be - but for past couple of weeks I have done a good job maintaining them per the pool math app. It seems though, that I have been using an awful lot of bleach (approx 48oz per day, ~14k gal pool). Pool is clear so I'm hoping it's simply the hot Phoenix sun to blame and not algae, but wanted to get some feedback from the experts.

I did overnight chlorine test, and lost .2 ppm FC over 9.5hrs. From what I've read this is not too bad.

8:30PM - 6.4
6:00AM - 6.2
6:00PM - 4.0

here are my other current levels:

PH - 7.8 (been using about 4oz muriatic acid per day to maintain 7.6-7.8)
TA - 70
CH - 350
CYA - 40-45 --> too low?
CSI - -0.02

Thanks in advance!

Cory

Cory,

48 oz of 10% Liquid Chlorine will add 2.7 ppm of FC to your 14K pool.

Most pools use between 2 and 4 ppm of FC each day..

Based on that I'd say you are right on target. In AZ it would not hurt at all to run your CYA higher..

I have a saltwater pool and just let my SWCG make my chlorine for me.. :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

As Jim showed, it’s all science and math. Your expectations of bleach requirements were just your thoughts. Your FC usage could go up to 6 per day which is why he mentioned raising your CYA a little, to offset that increased need. There’s a lot more sun to come in your locale, increasing FC usage.

As Jim showed, it’s all science and math. Your expectations of bleach requirements were just your thoughts. Your FC usage could go up to 6 per day which is why he mentioned raising your CYA a little, to offset that increased need. There’s a lot more sun to come in your locale, increasing FC usage.
So after thinking about this for a bit, I have a follow-up question. If my FC usage increases to 6 per day during summer - should I expect to be adding chlorine 2x per day to maintain the 4-8 range I see in PoolMath?

Thanks!

Cory

Cory,

You need to make sure your FC never falls below your minimum.. So whatever it takes to make that happen.. Add a little chlorine twice a day or a lot all at once..

This is why I like saltwater pools.. My chlorine generator just adds a little chlorine all day long.

You could also get a Stenner pump.. Put the chlorine in the tank and let it dispense at a set rate.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So after thinking about this for a bit, I have a follow-up question. If my FC usage increases to 6 per day during summer - should I expect to be adding chlorine 2x per day to maintain the 4-8 range I see in PoolMath?

Thanks!

Cory
If your FC loss is 6ppm there’s likely a problem. It maybe an algae outbreak, a very low CYA level, or strangers hanging out in the pool for hours at a time. Regardless, if you see that…..it’s a large red flag there’s an issue.

Thanks!

Cory

Once per day is fine, as long as you keep it above the minimum. And going high on the chlorine is no big deal, as long as you stay below your SLAM level.

You could bump up your CYA a little to help decrease your chlorine loss, but it's still going to be high with warm temps and a lot of intense sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.