League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello everyone,
We are about to sign a contract to build this pool. This will be our first pool build. We live in the extreme hot and humid south Texas. The pool will be used for swimming laps/exercise and relaxing. Also, we want our place to be a focal point for family and friends. The pergola is going to be omitted from the final design mostly for cost. It is something we can always do later. Also, the pool equipment will be further to the left towards the front of the house. I've done a ton of reading on here(Pool School etc.) and on other sites. We plan on maintaining the pool ourselves. Just looking for any advice/suggestions from construction to design to equipment.

Here are the stats:
-33' 5" X 16' 9"
-Perimeter 103ft/ area 564sf
-Sport pool depth 3.5 x 5 x 4
- 2-skimmers/5-returns/2-main drains
- 19ft of 6-inch raised wall
- 20ft of 12-inch raised wall
- (2) 18 x 18 x 18 inch columns
- (3) 24" scuppers
- tanning ledge with 8" depth
- travertine coping
- 805sf of spraydeck(includes back patio and walkway from back patio to pool)
- raised 12" spa with stacked spillway, 6-jets, 1.5HP blower Hayward color LED light
- (2) Hayward color LED lights in pool
- Polaris 280 cleaner
- Hayward Tri-Star VS pump
- Hayward 525sf cartridge filter
- Hayward 2.5HP booster pump
- Hayward 400K BTU heater
- Automation: eCommand AqaCon
- Hayward Salt system
- Pebble Tec/Sheen finish
CA3C48B5-A552-4456-B25B-DE9C4C86590E_zpsyqvh27cp.jpeg
0B197F77-7C8D-4A9D-8C66-93CF62ED66E6_zpsqsphchzv.jpeg
CA3C48B5-A552-4456-B25B-DE9C4C86590E_zpsyqvh27cp.jpeg

I'll make my signature when this is all official.
Thanks in advance for any help!

James

People will comment about the Polaris cleaner and tell you to do a robot. Whichever way you decide build the pool for both. Electrical outlet to plug in robot by pool and dedicated return line for pressure cleaner.

Consider varying the seating levels in the spa. At least two levels for taller and shorter people. Rounded edges on all the seating. Consider how that spa coping overhang will feel on your back when you lean against it.

What is the diameter of the spa? Is it large enough for you to stretch out in it?

There will be an outlet should we decide to go the robot route in the future.

The spa is 7ft. Several of our neighbors have spas that we have been in and they don’t have rounded edges. I never noticed any discomfort so I think it’s fine. Should be large enough to stretch out. I’m only 5’8” and my wife is 5’1”. Varying seat level is a good thought! Thanks for that idea! Might make a difference especially for my wife.

J,

Good choice on going with a saltwater pool. Makes for an easy pool to care for...

I would think about swapping places with the Spa and the tanning ledge. Seems wrong to have the spillover facing the pool. :confused:

If you have not done so already, I suggest that you use a gunite spa and make sure that you are comfortable in one before spending the extra money.. Some people love them and some people don't. It is a lot of money for something you may or may not use.

Good job on the VS pump, it is almost mandatory when you have a SWCG.. Also, make sure the salt system you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. This is because SWCG's are rated when running 24/7 at 100%, not something you really want to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Good choice on going with a saltwater pool. Makes for an easy pool to care for...

I would think about swapping places with the Spa and the tanning ledge. Seems wrong to have the spillover facing the pool. :confused:

If you have not done so already, I suggest that you use a gunite spa and make sure that you are comfortable in one before spending the extra money.. Some people love them and some people don't. It is a lot of money for something you may or may not use.

Good job on the VS pump, it is almost mandatory when you have a SWCG.. Also, make sure the salt system you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. This is because SWCG's are rated when running 24/7 at 100%, not something you really want to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, are you saying the spillover should be visible as you are walking up to pool?

Ive been in a gunite spa and I’m comfortable in one.

Having been in other saltwater pools I knew this is what we wanted. Just feels nicer. I will have to find out exactly which salt system is going in. I know it’s Hayward but I’ll find out. Thanks for your input!

J,

It is not a big deal, but most of the spas I see have a spillway that can be seen from the house side.. Obviously, that can't happen with the spa in the current position, so I thought the spa would look better on either end of your pool, rather right in the middle. Just a personal preference, not an operational type of thing. The spa will work just fine right were it is.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It’s a trade off, do you want to walk around the pool to get to the spa? I elected to put my spa on the house side right outside a door from my bedroom. Putting on the other side of the pool makes it a feature viewable from the house. I guess it depends on how much will use the spa, and your personal preference.

Chief,

I agree, just a preference thing.. Just to be clear to the OP... I was not suggesting to move the spa to the opposite side of the pool, but rather just moving it to one end or the other and turning it a little.

Just like the Chief... I would not want to walk all the way around the pool to get to the spa either.

Jim R.

Jim & Chief,

I see what you guys are saying. It’s really not a big deal in this case. There are no views from the living room. Twenty feet from the corner of the house is solid brick. The pool is situated on the left side of our backyard. You have to take a walkway around the corner from the back door to get to the pool. The windows of the living room face the back of the house, not the side. There are windows in the game room that face the pool but if you’re not in the game room you won’t see it. Our house is a large one story on a lot shaped like the state of Nevada. The back door is maybe 20’ from our back fence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.