Looking for an option to heat SPA without running through jets using SPA return

timcreech

May 13, 2020
Florida
I am looking to run my SPA heater through the main SPA return using automation in the iAqualink app. I can do this with manual manipulation of the valves, but would like to be able to do this as an option in automation.

The SPA normally spills over into the pool, then when the SPA Mode is selected, the automation turns the Pool Drain off/SPA Drain on, the T-Jets on and the Heater on. All perceft.

I would like an Automation setting to turn the Pool Drain off/SPA Drain on, and the Pool Return Off. Then when I turn this mode off, to go back to the SPA / Pool Return setting where it started. I can add a Jandy Valve Actuator to the SPA/Pool return, but I think they are "on/off" setting and not variable to have the SPA/Pool mix as it is set now. If that is not a show stopper, how to wire and setup in the iAqualink is the next question?

Pic of the plumbing.

1632429409970.png

Tim,

I'm sorry for being dumber than dirt, but I don't understand what it is that the normal Spa mode does not do for you... :scratch:

When in the Spa mode, the spa no longer overflows into the pool and all the water just circulates in and out of the spa and obviously through the pump, filter and heater..

Please let me know what I am missing?? What does it do now that you don't want it to do?

Maybe the problem is I'm not sure what a "spa return" is.. ???

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think the "Spa Return" is his spa makeup line that feeds the spa spillover when in POOL mode.

Why do you want the heated water running through the "spa return" or better called the "spa makeup" line with the spa jets off?

I have a few ideas for your Aqualink setup but tell me what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Today SPA Mode circulates water from the SPA drain to the Therapy Jets. The Therapy jets are noisy and generate a lot of air in the water.

I am looking to circulate the water from the SPA drain back to the SPA (SPA return). This will heat the SPA but keep the water peaceful and quiet.

I would do the following:
  • Reclock your POOL RETURN/SPA RETURN so it fully closes the SPA RETURN when the pool is on.
  • Move the SPA RETURN JVA from the SPA T-Jet valve to the POOL RETURN/SPA RETURN valve. Then when you go into SPA mode it flows water through the SPA RETURN as you want.
  • Add a new JVA onto the SPA T-Jet valve, plug it into the CLEANER JVA socket, and flip dip switch 1 on for the CLEANER. Now AUX1 will turn on your T-Jets when you want them on. You will need to move the AUX1 high voltage relay to another available AUX button.
  • Enable the SPA SPILLOVER mode with dip switch 3. That makes AUX3 turn your spa SPILLOVER on and off. You will need to move the AUX3 high voltage relay to another available AUX button if you have something on AUX3.
This all assumes you have some AUX buttons available with a RS6 or RS8 board and not an RS4.

What is your Aqualink AUX setup?

Reactions: Poolbreh
I would do the following:
  • Reclock your POOL RETURN/SPA RETURN so it fully closes the SPA RETURN when the pool is on.
  • Move the SPA RETURN JVA from the SPA T-Jet valve to the POOL RETURN/SPA RETURN valve. Then when you go into SPA mode it flows water through the SPA RETURN as you want.
  • Add a new JVA onto the SPA T-Jet valve, plug it into the CLEANER JVA socket, and flip dip switch 1 on for the CLEANER. Now AUX1 will turn on your T-Jets when you want them on. You will need to move the AUX1 high voltage relay to another available AUX button.
  • Enable the SPA SPILLOVER mode with dip switch 3. That makes AUX3 turn your spa SPILLOVER on and off. You will need to move the AUX3 high voltage relay to another available AUX button if you have something on AUX3.
This all assumes you have some AUX buttons available with a RS6 or RS8 board and not an RS4.

What is your Aqualink AUX setup?

Thanks Allen

I have SPA SPILLOVER setup and that works well.

Seems like the thing that I would lose is the ability to have the pool and the SPA circulate at the same time. Now I split the valve opening bewteen Pool and SPA return which gives me a spillover when ever the pool filter is on. Any thoughts how to keep this "feature"?

Most of us think it is a negative to have the spillover constantly running and raising the pool pH faster.

If you want it then just set the cams on the JVA on your POOL/SPA return valve to leave the valve slightly open the way you have the handle now.

When do you use the SPILLOVER mode if you have the spillover continuously running in POOL mode?

Most of us think it is a negative to have the spillover constantly running and raising the pool pH faster.

If you want it then just set the cams on the JVA on your POOL/SPA return valve to leave the valve slightly open the way you have the handle now.

When do you use the SPILLOVER mode if you have the spillover continuously running in POOL mode?
We only use the SPILLOVER mode when we want a large waterfall effect/sound. It kicks the pump into full speed and all the water is routed to the SPA.

If I don't spillover from the spa it would not have any circulation unless I set the SPILLOVER mode to run for a time every day. Is that the norm to get some turns of the SPA water every day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I don't spillover from the spa it would not have any circulation unless I set the SPILLOVER mode to run for a time every day. Is that the norm to get some turns of the SPA water every day?

I run my spillover for 30 minutes at 9am and 2pm to get fresh chlorinated water in it.

Reactions: TexEdmond
Ok, The JVA came early and I had an hour to play with it tonight. Here is what I ended up doing.

Left the existing JVA in place
Moved the existsing JVA wires to the Cleaner JVA connection
Put the new JVA on the Pool/SPA return valve
Installed the new JVA (note: the new screws are underneath the packaging. Almost went to the hardware store)
Plugged the new JVA into the Return JVA (where the existing one came from)
Assigend the Cleaner JVA to the "Extra Aux" in the iAqua app under Assign JVAs
Added the Extra Aux to the SPA Mode group under One Touch Setup
Renamed Extra Aux to Spa Jets under Label Auxillaries

Now when you use the one touch SPA Mode it will turn the circulation to the SPA without turning on the Spa Jets

This flows through to Alexa so I can ask her to turn on and off the Spa Jets.

Thanks for the help!!!

Reactions: HermanTX
One quirk

If you turn the Spa off not using the One Touch Spa Mode you have to also manually turn the Spa Jets off in the app.

Any thoughts of an automatic way to have these turn off?

I have put in a schedule to turn them on and off right before my filter starts for the day to be sure they are off for now. Thinking there may be a more elegant way to solve this.....

Good idea capping the air inlet. I have an air control valve that i keep closed almost all of the time because i don't like the noise either. Also you can turn down your pump speed and/or get larger diameter jet inserts to calm things down.

Good idea capping the air inlet. I have an air control valve that i keep closed almost all of the time because i don't like the noise either. Also you can turn down your pump speed and/or get larger diameter jet inserts to calm things down.
I had an issue with the jets always blowing bubbles even with the air valve on the spa coping closed. This would cause the spa to take longer to heat. I ended up putting a JVA and a neverlube 3-way valve under my blower that will close when the blower is not in use so that air would not be sucked into the venturi jets. Since it is a 3-way, it is cammed to never block the blower by accident while the blower turns on and the JVA opens because the 3rd port is open to the atmosphere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.