Looking for a better brush

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I bought this brush and after just a couple months, it’s losing so many bristles that I’m going to have to stop using it.

Does anyone have a good brush to recommend that will at least last a year, which for me in Michigan is really just 5 months. I like the shape of the one I purchase, I also like that it’s all plastic (no metal) so I don’t scratch the fiberglass, but need one that will last.

Thanks.

Anyway, here's one that will work better and last much longer: SweepEase 100% Poly 18-Inch
I ended up ordering the SweepEase. I’ve thought about the Whale, but I think that flap is too big for how I brush the side up at the water line. I use more of a side to side motion rather that up and down. Hoping the SweepEase is a good compromise between the flap and no flap at all.

I've had this brush for almost 10 years and love it.

Same. Can't say enough good about this wall Whale type brush. That flap makes it way easier.

I'm contemplating the Whale, but I read that as you pull the brush up, the flap flips forward. I assume that on the next downstroke, it flips back again to create the resistance.

Doesn't that flipping back and forth lend itself to a quick and easy breaking point?

Reactions: nabril15
I’ve had the SweepEase for a little while now. It’s a good brush. It does put pressure on the down stroke. Probably not as much as the Whale, but no moving parts. It also just feels like it’s brushing better than the cheap ones I was using. I would recommend giving it a try.

I’ve had the Wall Whale brush for 10 years now. Leave it outside in the elements all year long. No problems with it whatsoever.

You can even detach the whale tail part and install it on a new brush as long as the screw holes line up. I switched to a 50/50 nylon/steel wire brush in my pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the brush I use, I like it because it has bristles completely around the brush. I've only used it this season but so far no loss of bristles (they would be pretty easy to see most of the bristles are orange or blue)

Sipester
I've seen that brush a million times, but I keep asking myself about the need for bristles on the top of the brush. Other than to brush under a metal ladder, for example, when do you use them? Never, no?

Also, on my Wall Whale brush, there is an adjustable wedge that determines how far forward the "tail" stops. This adjusts the pressure that the tail produces when being pushed through the water. If the wedge is set to it's lowest point, then the tail will sit back at a very small angle to the water and it's very easy to push. If it's set to a higher position, the downward force on the bristles gets stronger. It's amazing how much force it will generate. And yes, when you pull it back, the tail flips forward and the brush moves freely and easily back to the surface. The hinge is perfectly fine and, as I said, 10 years in and mine is still going fine after 2 brush changes.

Also, side-scrubbing at the tile line works just fine. In fact, the whale tail produces a lot of water agitation at the surface which is great for moving debris from the waterline tile away from the wall and into the pool where it can be skimmed out. Overall, it's a great brush accessory and I would never go back to using a regular brush again.

Sipester
I've seen that brush a million times, but I keep asking myself about the need for bristles on the top of the brush. Other than to brush under a metal ladder, for example, when do you use them? Never, no?
Your right, you don't need bristles on the top, but it does come in handy around skimmers and around the ladder. I think the biggest advantage is that more bristles are in contact with the wall when brushing.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.