Looking for 2 speed alternative to 355222S motor

Sep 22, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
My waterfall pump motor seized hard. But I can't find what the HP and rpms are. And when searching for specs on a Pentair 355222S motor, the HP ranges a lot. I would rather not get the same HP single speed motor as the waterfall is so loud. Would love a 2 speed to have a low flow fall option.

Any ideas from the label? And any suggested 2 speed motor options? Guessing variable motor would cost a fortune if they even have one that works with my existing impeller.

UPDATE: I do not want to touch or use the main filtering variable motor pump system that I have. Because then I would need new plumping changes as well as some kind of electronically controlled diverter valve so the waterfall doesn't run at night during my filtering phases.

20201003_134733.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the motor is from 1995. At 25 years old, it's probably best to get a new pump. What are the flow rates you would like to achieve?

Maybe you can just use the pool return as a fountain return.

What pool equipment do you have?

You can get the motor directly from the part number: Amazon.com : Pentair 355222S Motor Replacement WaterFall Pool and Spa Pump : Outdoor Spas : Garden & Outdoor

Since that motor is from a waterfall pump in the AF/AFP series, the RPM is likely 1725 which are difficult find outside the direct replacement.

Thank, but as I mentioned, yes, I could just buy the Pentair replacement but I am trying to find a 2 speed replacement so that I can choose to run a low flow mode when I don't want a roaring loud full flow.

It looks like the motor is from 1995. At 25 years old, it's probably best to get a new pump. What are the flow rates you would like to achieve?

Maybe you can just use the pool return as a fountain return.

What pool equipment do you have?

Well yes I am getting a new pump. As my post already said, the pump is seized so I have to get a new pump. And I know I can just swap it with the Pentair 355222S which is what this Magnetek is based on. Since I can't find specs on this or the Pentair 355222S pump, I have no idea what my flow requirements are. I would like to find a 2 speed pump where the full speed is similar or equal to this bad pump, and then a lower speed for when I don't want a roaring load waterfall.

As for equipment that I already have. No real idea. The 2 systems are completely separate. The water feature has intakes on the side of the pool and only have the basket filter before the pump. I do not want my water fall running every time the main variable pump runs the filtering system.

Thank, but as I mentioned, yes, I could just buy the Pentair replacement but I am trying to find a 2 speed replacement so that I can choose to run a low flow mode when I don't want a roaring loud full flow.
A normal single speed motor is 3450 rpm.

A two speed motor is 3450 rpm or 1725 rpm.

Your motor is a special "waterfall" motor that is a single speed 1725 rpm. So, it's already at low speed.

I don't think that they make a 1725/863 rpm motor.

Maybe consider getting a variable speed pump so that you can adjust the flow as needed.

With the pump being at least 25 years old, it's probably not worth renovating.

If you don't need a huge amount of flow, consider using the pool return.

Last edited:
Pentair 355222S is just the motor, not the pump. Do you want a pump or just a motor?

You can put a valve on the regular return so that you can divert some or all of the return water to the fountain when you want.

If you want a separate pump, we need to know the specific details to help you choose a suitable replacement.

If you don't know the details, you can always get a variable speed Intelliflo and that will allow you to adjust the flow to whatever you like within the range of the pump, which is pretty wide.

A normal single speed motor is 3450 rpm.
A two speed motor is 3450 rpm or 1750 rpm.
Your motor is a special "waterfall" motor that is a single speed 1725 rpm. So, it's already at low speed.
I don't think that they make a 1725/863 rpm motor.
Maybe consider getting a variable speed pump so that you can adjust the flow as needed.
With the pump being at least 25 years old, it's probably not worth renovating.
If you don't need a huge amount of flow, consider using the pool return.

Wow, thanks for all that info. Very helpful. I don't want to use my pool return for the waterfall as the plumbing back there would be a pain to re-route AND I would need a variable diverter valve that is electronically controlled so that I don't have to keep moving the valve all the time since I don't want the waterfall running all night at varying volumes. Plus I would rather not put more hours on the main pump during the day for the waterfall.
If this motor is already considered low speed, are there no other options in motors to mount to the existing filter/pump plate? I will have to see how low of a speed my variable pump can do. But that was an expensive motor with controller.

Pentair 355222S is just the motor, not the pump. Do you want a pump or just a motor?
You can put a valve on the regular return so that you can divert some or all of the return water to the fountain when you want.
If you want a separate pump, we need to know the specific details to help you choose a suitable replacement.
If you don't know the details, you can always get a variable speed Intelliflo and that will allow you to adjust the flow to whatever you like within the range of the pump, which is pretty wide.

Yes, you are correct and I was using pump and motor as the same term and then saying impeller which I know is just part of the pump. I will go back and edit that.

I am indeed just looking for a new motor to replace my seized motor and would rather have the ability to pick between a full raging waterfall and a slow quiet one. And I will update the original post as well to explain that I don't want to touch the separate pool filtering/pump setup via pool return as then I need some electronically controlled system to not run the water fall at night when I am doing all my filtering.

I will check on the Intelliflo motor but that sounds like it might be a much bigger cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about a low priced, off brand VS pump with its own timer? Check InyoPools. They have some to pick from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.