Looking at first above ground pool, got some quotes on Buttress Free

themanofsteel

Jan 22, 2024
North Carolina
Looking for advice based on experience. Looking at Trevi Matrix and have gotten quotes on a Bruttress Free pool. The same pool is also availiable as a A-Frame which is a Bruttress pool. Which is better. The size i am looking at is a 12 or 15 by 24 which is all the room i have. Thanks

I do not have experience with an oval pool, but my understanding is that both buttressed and non-buttressed are just as good. There is no "better" version from a structural standpoint.

Buttressed = less money
Non-Buttressed = saves space, looks nicer, no buttress to trip over

If space is a concern for you, then maybe a non-buttressed is worth the extra cost.

we have a buttress free oval 12x24 and it's great. No room in the long rectangular yard for buttresses - plus i'd injure myself!! the buttresses are actually kind of buried under the ground - steel L shaped things. 100% love the design. would do again.

One caveat with a buttress free oval pool is they cannot have a dugout bottom or "deep end", because of the straps that run under the floor. It's not a common option, but it's a thing.
For anyone following this- I haven't tried this but read it today... Above Ground Pool Deep End Installation for Oval Pools - don't know if it works with buttress free, but this pool also has the straps. I'd love to find if anyone has done this!

Reactions: hwy17
For anyone following this- I haven't tried this but read it today... Above Ground Pool Deep End Installation for Oval Pools - don't know if it works with buttress free, but this pool also has the straps. I'd love to find if anyone has done this!

I know it is just the engineer in me talking, but anytime I see instructions such as "mix about one bag of concrete, don't make it too soupy" I get suspicious. That is very non-specific, and a pool has a lot of forces going on. You need to get it right.

That is an interesting way to anchor the straps for a buttress free pool. I'm not sure if I like it or not.