Looking at a complete pool "control system" replacement

FlaPoolGuy

Gold Supporter
Oct 5, 2019
Florida
Hey everyone-

First off I want to thank everyone for the HUGE help with answering questions and getting me off the ground with pool maintenance and improvement. I just ordered my TF100 refills so I will have a fresh kit shortly. As it's a new year, I've been thinking about upgrading the "control system" (for lack of better phrase)- meaning my pump (from fixed to variable speed), timer (from intermatic dial to "something fancier"), installing an SWCG (currently we lug jugs of chlorine from the pool store), check valve in the PVC for the raised pool (currently drains *mostly* into the main pool whenever pump is not running). I'd think about throwing in a pool heater (solar vs propane) as long as I'm dreaming...

Is there some kind of primer on how to do big upgrades? I've reviewed pool school, and there is a document about pumps. However, I don't see too much about the automation part and doing a full system replace to upgrade to a "smart pool". From what I can tell, it looks like it's best to buy the same brand of equipment so they work better together with automation? Also, with automation, I'm concerned about my pool needing internet or wifi to run- is that true? I keep thinking about what just happened in TX recently with the power and internet etc going out, and I'd hate to not be able to run the pool pump because the internet is unreachable! Under my current setup, with a power generator and my "dumb pool", I can weather just about any storm...

Thanks again!

FP guy,

Most Internet or wireless communications are so that you have the ability for remote operation.. If it goes down you still have the ability to operate the system manually from the main control panel as long as you have AC power to the pool equipment.

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy.. They sell the IntelliFlo pump... what most people believe to be the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps. That means using a Pentair automation system with internal SWCG power center, and an included salt cell.. Here are a couple of examples...

Plus .. Pentair ScreenLogic2 Connection and Wireless Kit

or

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pentair has a simpler automation system that is dependent on communication through the cloud...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.