Look at this. I’m frustrated

May 24, 2014
Florence, SC
102385I had already drained my pool; cleaned it and everything. My father told me to add a bag of salt that we had left from last year. The other day iwas clear turned this. Vacuuming doesn’t help; adding algeaside doesn’t help either. My only idea I have is draining it again and scrubbing it down completely. Then refill. Suggestions??

What brand salt did you add?

Take a chlorine puck and put it on the stain for a few minutes and see if it lightens it.

The quick answer is you need chlorine, not salt (yes, you have an SWG according to your sig, but you need chlorine a lot faster than an SWG can support it). Algaecide does not kill algae, chlorine does.

Any chance you have a TF-100 or Taylor k-2006 test kit you can post some test results from?

Was it Clorox salt? There have been reports of impurities causing stains.

If you have a Vitamin C tablet, throw it on the stain for a few minutes, then brush it off. If you see a white spot that used to be brown, it's metal staining. If so, post back and we can point you the right way.

For a pool of that size (smaller and already partially empty) and type (temporary) you can/should also consider just draining, cleaning with bleach, and then the KEY to it all, maintain your pool at proper FC levels for your CYA. If you maintain proper FC levels you will never have algae again. I haven't in 7 years.

If you are not familiar with what that means, see the following two links:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.