Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Howdy. Also from Texas with a year round pool. And I'm fighting mustard algae and the stupidity from use of Tri-chlor tablets. In April 20th, I replaced my water and started over. I did add stabilizer to get the pool to 30ppm CYA. 1.5 months later, I'm over 60PPM CYA. And frustrated. I think I am going to have to convert to SWG or I need to drain 1/2 my pool every 1.5 months. Who invented these stupid tri-chlor tablets and why am I using them?

Who invented these stupid tri-chlor tablets and why am I using them?
Hide them out of plain sight. They will drive that CYA up quickly.

Welcome! :wave: Stick to regular bleach for now. Your CYA of 60 (if accurate) will suffice for the upcoming summer months in our areas, but increase the FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to be in balance wiht that CYA of 60. Also update your signature and include which test kit you are using. It helps us when reviewing your posts. Have a good weekend.

Temporarily, I'm switching to Calcium hypo tablets. I've decided to switch to a SWG this year, just not ready to pull the trigger. I'll keep the CYA where it is since I need it this high or higher for the SWG.

Chlorine is still coming down from a week at 20+, around 8. Ph 7.5, CH 200, TA 100, CYA is around 70-80. I used my Taylor 2005 kit and diluted the water with distilled to get better readings.