Long term use of Trichlor

As Crusemm said, keep the pump running if possible.

The tree stuff will consume a small amount of chlorine. But not enough to really effect your process.

Reactions: BenTaylor
I started the SLAM yesterday morning 4/28 and I've been keeping logs of the chlorine readings and I've copied them below:
Date and TimeFCCCChem Added
4/28 8:50 AM1.5320 oz Cl
4/28 12:15 PM121128 oz Cl
4/28 3:45 PM17.5.532 oz Cl
4/28 8:30 PM17.548 oz Cl
4/29 8:30 AM18048 oz Cl
4/29 12:15 PM18040 oz Cl
4/29 4:30 PM16.5064 oz Cl

I fully brushed the pool yesterday a couple of times, and I've brushed again today. I was going to do the OCLT last night, but we had a big thunderstorm come through and drop 1+" of rain and I didn't get to check the chlorine level prior to bed. I wanted to allow the last amount I added get mixed in before doing a final check. Yesterday was a mix of clouds and sun and windy. Today has been full sun and very windy. The water is crystal clear and I haven't seen a large increase in the filter pressure.

Does everything seem on track here? This is much easier to manage when working from home!

Thanks,
Ben

When doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test with the speed stir, do you keep adding drops until the sample is completely clear, or just no longer red? For a reading 18 ppm, the first 30 drops nothing happens, but the next 5-6 the sample slowly changes from red to clear with each drop. I assume that's normal?

Yes. If the mixture sits for a minute or two it will start to go pink again too - ignore this, when it first goes clear is the reading to use.

Numbers look good. Be sure to check and clean behind light niches, removable steps, ladders, etc. Anywhere the algae could be hiding!

Reactions: BenTaylor
Wait until it's completely clear. One way I've heard it described is go until it looks clear, then one more. If no change between the last two, don't count the last one.

Checked the water first things this morning and everything passed. (y) Thank you all for the assistance.

How sensitive is the test to the amount DPD powder used? I've found chunks of powder in jar that would fill up with the spoon, so a heaping spoon can have more or less powder. A drop is a drop from a vertical bottle, but a heaping scoop of powder can have an appreciable variation, I would think.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as the powder turns the sample deep pink and there is a grain or two of undissolved powder in the sample, you added enough. Too much is not possible. Within reason.

The kids are anxious to swim here and I was checking the chlorine this afternoon to see how much farther we had to go before they could swim. Water was crystal clear! Go outside about 2 hours later and there was what looked dirt, dog poop or duck poop in half a dozen spots on the bottom! Took another 2 hours before I had a chance to get it cleaned out and now there are slight dark brown spots on the clean floor of the pool. :mad: I did another FC/CC test (14/.1*) after I vacuumed up the debris and back washed the filter.

Any suggestions on how to remove the spots?

*I got a very, very slight color change after the 5th drop of R-0003 and it went back to clear with a single drop of R-0871.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.