Live Oak Attack - Cloudy Water

Apr 26, 2017
Bee Cave, TX
I have canopy of like oak trees over the pool. In a recent rain event the pollen loaded catkins dropped into the pool and stained the water like tea bags. Over night the pool went from clear to cloudy root beer. That started the annual 2 week live oak pollen battle. I shocked the pool twice over 4 days and backwashed the DE filter 4 times. Each time it looked like it was blowing out mustard. I could get the pool to a green color that was clear enough to see the bottom in the deep end, which was an accomplishment considering I could barely see the second step 4 days prior. This was achieved with filtration and chlorination. Now, thanks to some additional storms and heavy winds the live oaks are pretty clean. I broke down my filter yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. I verified that the filter media is in good condition with no tears, broken ribs, or anything like that. I loaded it back up with DE. Now the water looks way better, but it's still a foggy green. I can't seem to get the fog out. Here are my numbers:

FC: 6 ppm
CC: .5 ppm
CH: 230
CYA: 75
TA: 100
PH: 7.4
TDS: 1500
Phosphates: 50

So, numbs look good! I don't want to use a clarifier, flocculant, or any other pool store "solutions". Any thoughts on the cloudy water?

Attachments

• pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 44
  • Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 45
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 41
With a CYA of 80 your FC target needs to be 9-11 with a minimum of 6. See Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool Running your FC at the minimum did not give the water enough FC to handle the pollen.

We don’t use pool store shock. To clear this you need to follow the SLAM Process process step by step. The proper level of chlorine maintained until the water is clear is needed.

Floculents and clarifiers will just leave you with a gooey mess and gummed up filter. That is not the way to clear algae problems.

Blocking & tackling. I was at FC of 6 yesterday and added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. I thought for sure I was in the 10 range. I just tested and I'm at 5. The chlorine was consumed. I just added another gallon and will test in an hour or two. Thanks for pointing me back to the charts. When in doubt, check the chemicals.....and then check them again.

First set of tests posted appear to be from a pool store.

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

I have canopy of like oak trees over the pool. In a recent rain event the pollen loaded catkins dropped into the pool and stained the water like tea bags. Over night the pool went from clear to cloudy root beer. That started the annual 2 week live oak pollen battle.

I so feel your pain as I have the same canopy (in Cedar Park), but SLAM'n cleared it right up. And, I kept the FC way up in advance of this weekends downpour.

Use the kit I bought from TFP. TDS and phosphates from pool store. Got a test done to double check my numbers while I was buying DE. Checked out the same.

You could give the pool store your numbers so they could calibrate their equipment! Trust your testing.

Glad to hear the water is clear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.