tclary47

Aug 15, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello- have had my pool balanced for a long while and recently was away for 2 days. Pool is 18000 gallons plaster. I added 80oz of liquid CH two days ago. Today I took the TF-100 and tested it all again:

According to my TF-100
TA: 110
PH: 7.8
FC: 1 (if that)
CYA: 60

if I’m not mistaken - I need to add muriatic acid (about 55oz) and aerate? My question would be - why are my choke one levels disappearing so quickly. Is it really just the 90+ degree weather?
Thanks.

I added 80oz of liquid CH two days ago.
I am assuming you say CH means chlorine. Here, you will find we use CH for Calcium Hardness.

Chlorine is a consummable item. It needs to be added every day. You can get away with skipping a day or two if you take your FC level to SLAM. Or use trichlor tablets when gone for more than a couple days. Do remember the trichlor adds CYA and thus your target FC will increase.

I am assuming you say CH means chlorine. Here, you will find we use CH for Calcium Hardness.

Chlorine is a consummable item. It needs to be added every day. You can get away with skipping a day or two if you take your FC level to SLAM. Or use trichlor tablets when gone for more than a couple days. Do remember the trichlor adds CYA and thus your target FC will increase.
Correct - my bad. I did mean chlorine yes. Am I able to add liquid chlorine and muriatic acid at the same time? I plan to add enough chlorine to get to SLAM levels and I will add muriatic acid and aerate with fountain and jets.
This is correct?

Just so we are all on the same terminology. CH is calcium hardness which you do not show in your test results. For FC level of 1 you are most likely losing it to the heat. It is best to add liquid chlorine (LC) daily rather than in large batches. Also it is best to test daily when in the heat of the summer. Suggest you add LC to raise your FC to above 6ppm.
You can add MA later if your pH rises to 8. Then drop it to 7.2 as this will decrease both TA and pH. You are correct on aeration but it is a slow process so get your FC level first as you do not want any algae.

Reactions: mknauss
Do not add MA and Chlorine at the same time!!! Could be hazardous to your health. Add when pump is on. Wait a few minutes between them and I always brush the pool after adding MA to make sure its mixed in and dispersed all the way.

7.8 is an acceptable pH normally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.