Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
The pool was left alone for 2 weeks and grew quite a bit of algae.

The middle vacuumed pretty easy

However the edges are practically glued on. It’s like brushing concrete.

any advice? There is 3 gallons of 12.5% bleach in a 10,000 gallon pool so the FC is sky high already.

Also, the water is crystal clear. Not sure if that matters, but figured I’d add it.

I got into the pool in order to give a little more “oomph” to the brush, but that didn’t work. Hopefully being in the pool with the edges full of algae isn’t harmful?

Visible algae—->follow the SLAM Process to the letter.
Adhere to the FC/CYA Levels for your slam level- no more, no less (as it just wastes chlorine) Until u meet all 3 end of slam criteria.
It is Safe to be in the water between min & slam level fc so long as you can see the bottom of the pool. Algae isn’t gonna harm u . The main issue is that usually in an algae infested pool the chlorine is low (because algae is consuming it rapidly) & there’s not enough fc to prevent other nasties - if you’re maintaining sufficient chlorine levels its fine.
Your sig says u have an above ground pool- try a microfiber cloth on the liner - it takes time for consistent slam levels to kill algae.
what are your test results?
Fc
Cc
Cya?

Visible algae—->follow the SLAM Process to the letter.
Adhere to the FC/CYA Levels for your slam level- no more, no less (as it just wastes chlorine) Until u meet all 3 end of slam criteria.
It is Safe to be in the water between min & slam level fc so long as you can see the bottom of the pool. Algae isn’t gonna harm u . The main issue is that usually in an algae infested pool the chlorine is low (because algae is consuming it rapidly) & there’s not enough fc to prevent other nasties - if you’re maintaining sufficient chlorine levels its fine.
Your sig says u have an above ground pool- try a microfiber cloth on the liner - it takes time for consistent slam levels to kill algae.
what are your test results?
Fc
Cc
Cya?

Chlorine - 30+
CYA -20 (I have more acid to put in)

Usually my whole pool turns green. Right now, the pool is crystal clear - I can see every “rock” on the vinyl liner. It’s just the edges of the pool and partially up the side thats algae.

Are you attempting to follow the SLAM Process? Or are you just blinding dumping a bunch of chlorine in?

Yes. Just higher levels of chlorine than SLAM calls for.

Part of the SLAM method is to brush the pool every day. This stuff doesn’t brush. Which is the point of the whole thread.

I’ve been following TFP for many years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There’s no reason to go so high w/ the fc - it doesn’t = faster progress .
You’re not slamming you’re nuking (not recommended) & wasting alot of bleach to the sun & possibly contributing to any scale.
your liner & equipment are paying the price
Let chlorine drop to 10 & run all the tests

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.