Jul 9, 2019
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys,

Canadian Tire just started their annual sale on liquid chlorine - $3.79 for 3.6 litres (just under a gallon) instead of the usual $4.79. I'd like to stock up but I've seen numerous posts talking about how liquid chlorine loses its strength rather quickly.

But just how quickly?

I recall that LC's half life is dependent on the temperature it's stored at. In my case I can make some room in our mechanical room which, during the summer while the AC is running, stays around 65-68 degrees Fahrenheit. Never over 72. Pool shutdown for us is typically at the end of September so I need around 4 1/2 months worth of supply. Would my LC still be relatively potent if kept in a 68 degree room for 135 days?

Thanks in advance,

m.

To share my recent experience.... Last year, I stocked up on 10% in the Spring as the pandemic got rolling. Not too long after, I decided to just go ahead and get a swg. I gave a lot of it away, but I kept some of it in case I needed to boost my levels for heavy usage or whatever.

Mine was stored in the dark basement where the temps are from 67 - 70. I still had 6 gallons left this year when I opened. Based on my testing before and after my additions, it was still half-strength (5% ish). The Julian date on my bottles is 20 015, so it was about 16 months old at that point.

I think yours would stay fairly potent through the summer.

Reactions: Reauxtide
That thread on storage tops only has fairly high temperatures, can I assume that it last longer in cold and freezing temperatures?

I store my LC in my pool cabana and like the OP I live in Canada. I don’t use a lot of LC since I have a SWCG. It I had two 10L jugs out there over the winter. They still seem to be fine in the spring as I use some LC until the water is warm enough for the SWCG to get up and running.

Reactions: TheDeuce
I had my Purox liquid chlorine from Canadian Tire stored in the garage all winter. I added some from an unopened bottle based on pool math's recommendation, it raised my FC by about 1/2 of what I was expecting. I just doubled up my dose today and see what happens overnight. I'll likely grab a couple of fresh ones if my FC doesn't rise.

Reactions: Northern cannonball
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.