Liquid Chlorine Price and Supply

Lowes here has 3 different kinds stocked in three different places. 10% in the pool supplies, 6% in the cleaning isle and a stack of it on an endcap marked "clearance" for $2.39 IIRC. I did the math and the clearance stuff amounted to a couple cents per oz cheaper for the actual chlorine content. I bought 31 gallons and the wife later stopped by and got 8 more, (we weren't communicating well that day I guess) I was back the very next day for something else and they had set an entire new skid of it in place, still with the clearance sign on it.

Reactions: HermanTX
I’ve been buying it here at our local Ace also… the pool store wanted almost $8 a gallon.
I informed them Ace (and now Walmart) have it for $3.50 a gallon.

A coworker informed me today on a Zoom call today that he wishes he would have listened to me back in February and bought some tablets. Apparently he paid $100 for 10lbs of tablets. Offered to hook him up with 20 tablets for $20.

Making friends. ;-)

Last edited:
Lowes here has 3 different kinds stocked in three different places. 10% in the pool supplies, 6% in the cleaning isle and a stack of it on an endcap marked "clearance" for $2.39 IIRC. I did the math and the clearance stuff amounted to a couple cents per oz cheaper for the actual chlorine content. I bought 31 gallons and the wife later stopped by and got 8 more, (we weren't communicating well that day I guess) I was back the very next day for something else and they had set an entire new skid of it in place, still with the clearance sign on it.
Check those date codes!! I saw that same "end cap sale" and it was all from last year. Hence = expensive water!

Sorry but I have to disagree with the expensive water comment. It worked great, easily got my FC over 20 and a SLAM successfully done. The results of my adds equaled almost exactly what pool math predicted so how bad could it be? So... perhaps it was properly stored? How long is the reasonable shelf life for pool use. Clorox brand says theirs is useable for a year. The only possible date codes I saw looked cryptic or coded to me and were of no help. Have used almost all of it between the SLAM and stripping the deck.

Sorry but I have to disagree with the expensive water comment. It worked great, easily got my FC over 20 and a SLAM successfully done. The results of my adds equaled almost exactly what pool math predicted so how bad could it be?
Yippee for you, really.
You are lucky then. We've heard of old chlorine being purchased that was nothing but water, and those date codes I saw were from last year. We always suggest buying nothing older than 3 months if possible.

This is July 2021, about current central Texas liquid chlorine prices. I'm seeing 12.5% at around $12.50/gallon, 10% at Walmart for $3.84/gal. 12.5% yields 16oz. chlorine/gal. 10% yields 12.8 oz./gal. That figures to ~$.78/oz. of chlorine for 12.5%, and ~$.30 for 10%. Noting the 2017 post from PopcornGirl2 about checking carefully for current dates, seems to me that the Walmart product is worth purchasing. If others have a) a significantly lower-priced source for 12.5% or b) counsel about problems with 10%, I'd welcome hearing. (First post, be gentle! 🤠)

Reactions: texasAUtiger
Hey bking and Welcome !!! As long as it’s fresh you can use dollar store 6% and use twice as much if the price is right. Or laundry bleach / disinfectant from the grocery store if you catch the right sale. Just make sure to change the %s in pool math to get the right amounts needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey bking and Welcome !!! As long as it’s fresh you can use dollar store 6% and use twice as much if the price is right. Or laundry bleach / disinfectant from the grocery store if you catch the right sale. Just make sure to change the %s in pool math to get the right amounts needed.
most laundry bleach from the grocery store has additives. I know the Great Value bleach I have bought does. Liquid Chlorine - Further Reading

Great Value brand, for instance has 'fabric protection technology' which means it has the polymers that will cause foaming. Same with chlorox

Can't find liquid chlorine any where around here in central North Carolina. I'm just on my way out the door to pick up 4 gallons of HTH 10% from an Ace Hardware that's 25 miles away at the low, low price - NOT - of $6.99 per gallon (plus tax). This will last me about 10 days - that's $3 per day to chlorinate the pool. They have a limit of 4 gallons per purchase.

I found some Great Value 7% "household" bleach the other day at $2 for a 43 ounce bottle. That works out to roughly $6 per gallon for a weaker product.

It seems to be getting worse. When will it ever end?

Is there a 2021 Price thread yet ;)

As someone who keeps their pool open year round, the last 2 months have been difficult for finding affordable liquid chlorine.

Home Depot was sold out, which is odd for this time of year. Price increased to 9.99 for 2-10%, no more bulk discount.
Wal-Mart, also sold out of pool chlorine and their store brand bleach appears to have been watered down again to 5% for the same price it was at 6%, also couldn't find the date on the new bottle. The 'concentrated' doesn't appear to be any more concentrated.
The best price I could find was $21 for 4 12.5% refills at a pool store that used to be 15.99 at this same time last year.

Anyone else seeing the same trends? Anyone have any luck finding any sales lately?
Hoping these are temporary setbacks and won't get worse as demand increases come Spring.
I’m in Greenville SC and haven’t been able to find ANY liquid chlorine for a few weeks. I had some on hand but I’m about out now. Walmart sales clerk told me people are hoarding. What are the alternatives until I can find some more? I do have some tabs from last year that Inhad stopped using when I found TFP. Can I go back to those for a short time?? Is Di-chlor an option? Leslies has this in hand but a wait list for liquid chlorine when they get some in again. TIA

@Aldis Your Poolmath logs show you tested CH four months ago at 350 ppm. If your level has dropped some you could use Cal Hypo. Dichlor is 50% CYA. So be ware of that.

@Aldis Your Poolmath logs show you tested CH four months ago at 350 ppm. If your level has dropped some you could use Cal Hypo. Dichlor is 50% CYA. So be ware of that.
Hmm ok, thanks. Cal Hypo, I’ll need to research that. I haven’t paid much attention to my CH. I’ll put that on my radar.
Yes my CYA is high…I’ve been trying to get it down this summer without having to drain and refill. If I can’t get chlorine it may become a moot point. I did finally find some yesterday, Food Lion brand without additives (I hope) but it doesn’t say the percentage anywhere on the jug. Can I ASSUME it’s 10%??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.