jtucker615

Jul 18, 2023
Winfield, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A few days ago, I switched from cal-hypo tabs to liquid chlorine at the recommendation of these forums. I bought 12.5% liquid pool shock from my local pool store. Long story short my FC has dropped from a steady 4.6 to 3 in 2 days and I've added a total of 2 gallons. I added the first gallon in 32 Oz increments in front of a return over the course of the first day and saw no change. Last night I added a full gallon at once. In front of the return and then brushed the pool thoroughly and this morning it's still testing 3 FC. In truth I also added a gallon of liquid acid to bring down my TA some and plan to aerate to get the PH back up, it is currently at 6.8. I also added 2lbs of dry stabilizer to bring my CYA closer to 50 where its recommended. I don't think either of these things would affect my issue though. I had another thought and checked the date code on the chlorine and I think it's over a year old. Did I buy ineffective chlorine? Pic attached. There is no real bleachy smell either. I would assume it would have a strong chlorine smell like the tabs do. Am I just doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 20230803_065858.jpg
    20230803_065858.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 19
22005 should be produced on the 005th day of 2022. So it's likely really old and mostly degraded. You can Google Julian date at the store to get an exact, or just round every month as 30 days plus the extra. For example, Aug 3rd would be 7 full months plus 3 days and if it was produced today it would say 23213 give or take. You want 3 months or less and as fresh as possible.

Reactions: jgofnj
Most stores don't give a hoot about your results but do give a hoot about getting rid of old bottles. You may have to dig in the shelf or ask someone to find newer supply.

One time I wasted a half hour at Lowes for the kid to get the forklift to bring down a pallet just for it to be 6+ months old. :roll:

I looked at that date for like 5 minutes trying to make sure I was actually seeing a 2022 date! At 18 months old, that's incredibly weak and who knows how it was stored for those 18 months.
In some places, it's getting to be near the end of the season so my stores will stop putting out anything new as they make space for Halloween decorations. Not sure how AL is but you'll definitely be able to find something at least made in 2023 - just keep digging...

Reactions: Newdude
A few days ago, I switched from cal-hypo tabs to liquid chlorine at the recommendation of these forums. I bought 12.5% liquid pool shock from my local pool store. Long story short my FC has dropped from a steady 4.6 to 3 in 2 days and I've added a total of 2 gallons. I added the first gallon in 32 Oz increments in front of a return over the course of the first day and saw no change. Last night I added a full gallon at once. In front of the return and then brushed the pool thoroughly and this morning it's still testing 3 FC. In truth I also added a gallon of liquid acid to bring down my TA some and plan to aerate to get the PH back up, it is currently at 6.8. I also added 2lbs of dry stabilizer to bring my CYA closer to 50 where its recommended. I don't think either of these things would affect my issue though. I had another thought and checked the date code on the chlorine and I think it's over a year old. Did I buy ineffective chlorine? Pic attached. There is no real bleachy smell either. I would assume it would have a strong chlorine smell like the tabs do. Am I just doing something wrong?
Don’t ever dose acid enough to bring the pH lower than 7.0. You can damage equipment.

Reactions: jtucker615
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.