Liquid Chlorine & How to Read Expiration Date

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Meijer just ran out of the regular plain bleach (8.25%), so I decided to go to Walmart to get some bleach...the didn't have any that was "PLAIN", so I got some Liquid Chlorine. I only got two gallons because I wasn't sure how to read the date on these bottles. I don't know if they are old or not.

Questions 1: How do you read the expiration date on these bottles..it's kind of faded off. Should I return it?
Question 2: Does it really matter if I use Liquid Chlorine now that I've run out of Bleach (well almost ran out of bleach). I've been using bleach all this time and now the store ran out of them...I'm left to use Liquid Chlorine (10%). I hope I got the right one.

IMG_0585.jpgIMG_0586.jpg

Re: Liquid Chlorine & How to Read Expiration Date

That bottle was filled the 143 rd day of 2018. So mid May. It is fresh.

- - - Updated - - -

LC is fine to use. They all are sodium hypochlorite.

Yup!

There is a number 18XXX on the bottle. The XXX represents the number of days in 2018 the bottle was filled. Look for stuff less than a couple months old.

Thanks for this explanation!!!

So I went on pool math to see how much to add to get my FC to 8 (I know, it's 1ppm above max fc target), and I noticed something different. In stead of saying "weight" after I put the percentage in, it says "trade". Am I doing this right. I've enclosed an attachment.

Liquid Chlorine.jpg

What does this "trade" mean?

Last edited:
Oh! I guess I'm confused a bit...

So trade and weight bleach are two separate things? Using PoolMath, when I type in 8.25% is says "weight" % bleach. When I type in 10%, it says "trade" % bleach. What is the difference between the two. I'm not sure what trade means.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't have to be exact. Just take the days number and divide by 30 (use the calculator on your smartphone which everyone seems to have these days). 79/30 = 2.6ish. So sometime in the 3rd month of the year 2019. Close enough.

Doesn't have to be exact. Just take the days number and divide by 30 (use the calculator on your smartphone which everyone seems to have these days). 79/30 = 2.6ish. So sometime in the 3rd month of the year 2019. Close enough.
This is exactly what I do... except I am the last person on Earth without a smart phone so I do the math in my head like a common pleb.

• Haha
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.