Liner wrinkle in corner

NYer

Dec 7, 2016
Vestavia, AL
This past spring I had an inground vinyl lined pool installed. I opted for the feature of vinyl over stairs for my steps. My pool shape is a traditional rectangle and the stairs form a triangle in one of the corners. In the corner above the top stair the liner gather and bunches a little. (Enough to notice from inside my house). The three other corners are fine. I've had the pool installer look at this, who in turn have had the liner rep out to look at it as well. The pool company has told me that the liner rep said there is nothing that can be done and that it just happens a certain percent of the time. The vinyl supplier claims that they made the product correctly. The pool company says they installed it correctly. I'm being told that this just happens from time to time on these types of steps.

Do you know if this is true and that I will just need to accept this? Am I being mislead?

The dimensions of the steps as installed under the liner is likely slightly off of what was expected or drawn out in the plans. The liner was cut according to plans, not actual dimensions. Being off by a few inches on the step placement could be the difference. Is your pool steel walled, concrete or otherwise?

It is steel. The steps are steel as well and were filled in with rocks then topped with a smooth coat. It is literally just the top corner above the top step. It's frustrating because the rest of the pool looks great. But I'm being told it is nobody's fault. Everybody did exactly as they were supposed to and this just happens and I have to accept it. Which I can not accept.

I wouldn't be happy either, but I will mention one concept. If everyone responsible for a portion of a task has a tolerable error or variance, then when you multiply that out, you would naturally end up with some things that don't appear up to snuff, yet all were done according to normal conventions. Ultimately, the PB will either come through for you or not on this. And you will either be happy (if fixed), let it fester, or get over it. I vote for be happy.

My gut says that some wrinkling (either scattered or in one or two places), to some degree is "normal". A liner is vinyl and therefore prone to such things.

I also installed my liner over my corner steps.....same as you. Mine was a custom build so I supplied about 4-5 pages of drawings and dimensions......particularly the steps.

Fortunately, They got the steps just right with virtually no wrinkles. Sadly, they misconstrued the corner radius so the liner did not fit the corners of the pool. Since I had supplied drawings showing the correct radius, the replaced the entire liner......no questions asked.....good customer service.

If yours is a kit, they should have correct dimensions. If the steps are a custom addition and no one has drawings to fall back on, you may be out of luck.

Who ordered the liner? Who measured?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.