Liner tear: How much trouble / expense am I looking at here?

Soximus

Sep 28, 2020
Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I made a stupid mistake and left my (cheapo) vacuum going all night last night, since I wanted to clear the pool thoroughly before closing it this week. I woke up to find that the vacuum had gotten stuck to the bottom and ripped a hole in the liner. There was (and still is) a good deal of sand all around the rip.

The water level doesn't seem to be going down at all. Is this a run-of-the-mill liner tear? Or... what? At first I assumed this would be thousands of dollars to repair! Do I need to call a pool builder or other pool pro to come take a look and consult?

Attachments

• IMG_6538.JPG
    IMG_6538.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6537.JPG
    IMG_6537.JPG
    724.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    703 KB · Views: 46
Go buy some vinyl repair stuff. Get Boxer brand if you can find it. Do the repair in two steps. First piece a bit bigger than hole making sure you round the edges. Have some one you trust ti help hold you down while you place the patch. Then make another patch bigger than the first one, again with rounded edges.

Goggles are almost a must for this to help you see good. You goop up the patch good with the glue then fold it in half with the on the inside.

Go buy some vinyl repair stuff. Get Boxer brand if you can find it. Do the repair in two steps. First piece a bit bigger than hole making sure you round the edges. Have some one you trust ti help hold you down while you place the patch. Then make another patch bigger than the first one, again with rounded edges.

Goggles are almost a must for this to help you see good. You goop up the patch good with the glue then fold it in half with the on the inside.

Thank you! I will go back to apply a 2nd patch today (I got one piece of flex tape down asap last night, on the advice of a friend who was visiting). Wish I had known about the trick of having someone hold you down... it was definitely a struggle, particularly because the rip is near-ish the return jet. Kept pushing me around while I tried staying in one place on the bottom. And, will try to do the rounded edges trick as well... fingers crossed!

Turn the pump off while doing this work. This will also help you see better.

What color of flex tape did you get? Did it stick good? Was it hard to work with? I did not even think about using it!! Please keep me up on how it holds up to the vacuum as well.

I got the 8” width, white, “as seen on TV” type (I did zero research on what the best product to use would be… just rushed to the Home Despot and looked for waterproof tape). So far so good, I guess? Felt kind of temporary when I put it down, but the water level didn’t change overnight, sooo… success?? Contrary to my original post, the water level WAS indeed going down.

It was hard to remove from the backing, and it only felt so-so when I put it down in terms of adherence. I *very carefully* placed a ~15lb landscaping stone down ontop of the patch after it was in place, since the product packaging recommended some pressure to help the bond.

Do you think I should do a 2nd patch with a better/different material? If so, is there a particular product you’d recommend?

Thanks

The best brand is Boxer brand as far as I know. I am VERY interested to see how the flex seal works for you. Your is the first one to be fixed with it. The boxer kind is kind of hard to work with as it has to be folded after the glue is put on then opened up and pressed down all while under water.

The biggest worry about all patches is how it does with the cleaner. I think that is where the rounded corners come into play as it is a bit harder to grab a round edge.

Thanks. So far my take on the flex seal is that it's an OK temporary solution, but definitely not a candidate for a permanent fix. There's definitely still a small leak. Thank you for the tip regarding Boxer brand; I'll get some right now!

Will report back after I've put the better patch in place...

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks. So far my take on the flex seal is that it's an OK temporary solution, but definitely not a candidate for a permanent fix. There's definitely still a small leak. Thank you for the tip regarding Boxer brand; I'll get some right now!

Will report back after I've put the better patch in place...

Flex Seal says that it can be used for pool repairs

But it recommends a piece on each side of the rip - which leads me to believe they tried it on Intex type pools.

I would go over the Flex Seal tape with a larger patch made from a pool liner patching kit.

In addition to having somebody help hold you down, try blowing most of the air out of your lungs. It sound counterintuitive, but when you take a huge breath, it makes you float. You then spend a lot of time and air fighting that floating. By exhaling a lot of your air you sink easier and can calmly proceeded with patching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flex Seal says that it can be used for pool repairs

But it recommends a piece on each side of the rip - which leads me to believe they tried it on Intex type pools.

I would go over the Flex Seal tape with a larger patch made from a pool liner patching kit.
Yes, I think that's right (based on my experience, at least). I went back and removed the piece of flex seal; it came off sorta easily, I have to say. I applied two patches (one slightly larger than the tear, and one over that which went past the edge of the first patch by about 0.75" on all sides). This was from the Boxer brand vinyl pool repair kit referenced earlier.

This seems obvious in retrospect, but the fact that the tear was on the bottom of the pool (and had been caused by a malfunctioning vacuum, which not only tore the lining but also sucked out a good deal of the sand that is underneath the liner... I imagine this is a common pool building technique?) probably necessitated a more involved repair. By that I mean, since the proper amount of sand is no longer under the area that has been patched, there's a pronounced low spot there now. The back of the patch itself is sort of 'floating,' not touching sand, or other vinyl, or anything. I wonder what the correct thing to do would have been? It's hard to see how I could have gotten the supportive sand back in place without totally draining the pool. I'd be curious to hear from more experienced pool fixers about what they'd have done in this situation!

It would never be the same even if you got the sand back in there because the compression is compromised. Best you could probably do is fill socks with sand, stuff it and mash it around until it's fairly flat. I have never done this will a pool before since I'm new here as well, but I have done this type of technique for other water applications in a pier and post setup.

Flex tape is pretty amazing.

It would never be the same even if you got the sand back in there because the compression is compromised. Best you could probably do is fill socks with sand, stuff it and mash it around until it's fairly flat. I have never done this will a pool before since I'm new here as well, but I have done this type of technique for other water applications in a pier and post setup.

Flex tape is pretty amazing.
That makes sense-- the socks/sand approach is smart. My experience with adding CYA to the pool (via the sock method) should have made me think of this...

This is all pointing towards a new liner in the not-too-distant future, wouldn't you say? Particularly if we ever want to sell this house!

I don't see houses with pools as added value to be honest and of course in my opinion. I think homes with pools limits the 'pool' of perspective buyers. I would leave it be and if you decide to sell the home and the buyers see the tear, you can show them a quote for a replacement liner, explain it's been patched properly and give them a potential discount of 50% of what a new liner would cost off the homes purchase price.

New liner = $5000
House = $500,000
Take $2500 off the agreed purchase price of the house.

That's how I would look at it. Too much added work for you to do the liner if it's not an issue, leaking, ect... You need to drain, patch, compress, basically take the whole section apart to fix it, refill.... That's a lot of money/time.

That was my thinking exactly. Thank you. If we do stick around, I sure hope I could get a new liner installed for less than $5K... but maybe I'm dreaming.

I have the same size ABG as you (27' if going by your volume estimate). I changed out my own liner.

The liner was under $500

I added foam cove and wall foam - I would do the foam cove again, the wall cove not so much.

I think if I change my liner again, I will put in a gorilla pad or something similar (I have sand right now, like you)

I have the same size ABG as you (27' if going by your volume estimate). I changed out my own liner.

The liner was under $500

I added foam cove and wall foam - I would do the foam cove again, the wall cove not so much.

I think if I change my liner again, I will put in a gorilla pad or something similar (I have sand right now, like you)
Wow, your own liner change! That must have been a project. What resource did you use (if any) to learn how to do that? Any particular page you could point me to to learn more about foam cove and wall foam?

Wow, your own liner change! That must have been a project. What resource did you use (if any) to learn how to do that? Any particular page you could point me to to learn more about foam cove and wall foam?

There are dozens of people on this forum who have done their own ABG liner change, and plenty of articles and walkthrough as well. Search for liner replacement.

Replacing an in-ground liner is a bit trickier, but an ABG is really not that hard, especially if you plan correctly, do it when the weather is compatible, and have enough help. I did the vast majority of it by myself, and my wife helped for a bit with the actually hanging of the new liner.

All ABG pools need a cove. The cove is an angled slope between the wall and the floor. If you do not have a cove, the liner can be forced out between the wall and floor seam because of water pressure. The cove can be made from sand or you can get foam cove. Both are totally acceptable. With sand you need to be a little careful not to disrupt it as you put the liner in. It can also be little fussy to get it exactly the same all the way around the pool. Foam cove is a triangle shaped piece of foam about 3 feet long. Most have a peel and stick backing. You stick as many as you need around the floor/wall joint of your pool. It is a consistent shape, and does not get deformed.

Wall foam is pretty much what it sounds like. A sheet of foam, about 1/4" thick that your put on the inside of your pool wall before installing your liner. It is supposed to help insulate the pool and make the walls feel nice. You attach it with spray adhesive to the wall. I found it a pain to get installed, it kept coming unstuck, and it was a bear to get the wrinkles out. With the water in, it gets compressed to about an 1/8", making me doubt there is much insulating effectiveness. It does make the walls feel slightly soft, but since I don't really rub up against the walls of my pool, I really don't get much out of that. There is nothing wrong with it, I just don't think there is that much of a benefit.

There are a bunch of bottom treatments as well. Some people use sand, some use vermiculite, some use a commercial pad such as a gorilla pad, some use foam insulation panels, and some use a combo of two or more of them. All have their pluses and minuses. I do think I will use a gorilla pad next time. I spent a LOT of time going over my pool bottom sand after I removed my old liner, and I still somehow have two small rocks under my liner, I have feel them poking into the bottom. It's been 4-5 years now with no puncture, but still I wish they were not there. Plus, if people stop on the bottom of my pool, it puts dents in there sand, and it becomes harder to vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.