Liner Lock failing - need a solution

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All,

I've posted before about this but still no solution. My liner is three years old and all liner lock was replaced at that time. Liner lock pops regularly around pool in several spots, especially where pool curves outward. My pool is 16 years old and I wonder if the track itself (into which the liner and liner lock is placed) has expanded?

One success I've had has been to wedge a dime in the track to create more pressure and keep the liner in place. This worked over the winter and all this summer in that one spot - success! However, it was really difficult to get the dime in and I was only able to do it in one spot. Other spots were too difficult and time consuming trying.

Other good news is that even with liner lock coming out, liner itself stays in over the summer and I push it back in when I'm in the pool. And, even over this past winter, only a couple of small areas of liner came out of track even though much more area of liner lock came out. I have to imagine over time as the liner ages and shrinks, more liner will come out over winter.

I really need small, plastic wedges, thinner than a dime, and about as deep, and strong enough to gently hammer with a rubber mallet. If this does not exist - it should! I'm even considering finding someone who knows how to use a 3-D printer that works with strong plastic, giving them the dimensions of a dime (available at the US Treasury site!) and 3-D printing these for myself.

Short of 3-D printing as described - any suggestions? If what I need does not exist - I think there is a real need for these.

Last time I posted about this I was given several leads for various liner lock manufacturers and sampled some new ones but they too were not snug enough.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I need pieces about the size of a dime. Can these be cut that small? Also, is the thinnest part of these things a bit thinner than a dime? Even a dime is too thick. Appreciate your answers to these follow-up questions if you can.

When I installed my kitchen cabinets I just snapped them off where they overhung the cabinetry. So in your case take one full shim and try to pound it in. Once it is in enough bend it down and snap it off. No need to deal with tiny pieces and trying to not hit your fingers. I would say they are similar in thickness at the small end to a dime.

You might be able to find a stiff bladed putty knife you can pound in there and get some extra space to start the shim.

Hope that helps.

I plan to pull out a foot at a time since liner lock is not too tight and reinsert with these simultaneously. Hope to do with fingers and maybe a light rubber mallet tap at the end once they are mostly in. 500 for $6 - worth a shot. Also, I only need to do this for about 25 linear feet. The most problematic areas. Thanks AftonJeeper!

Amazing! This solution exceeded expectations.

I used these tile spacers as shared above: QEP Tile Wedge Spacers for Alignment and Spacing of Wall Tiles (500-Pack)-10285Q - The Home Depot - $5.95 for 500!!!

Pics below show tools and the wedges after they were installed. I used needle-nose pliers to pull out a couple of inches of liner lock. Then, inserted a wedge on each side of the pliers. Next, used closed needle-nose pliers to gently push in the wedge a bit then the liner lock a bit, repeated several times to get them both in evenly and simultaneously. After that, I used the closed needle-nose pliers with tip on liner lock and used rubber mallet to tap just a bit. Then did the same for wedge. Continued back and forth so that they both deepened into the track evenly.

Initially, I spaced them about 6" apart. Later (I probably got tired/lazy) about 12-15" apart. Fit really snugly. All I need to know now is how these wedges will wear in weather (sun/heat, cold). However, to do the 35 feet I did this way took about an hour and I believe will prevent liner pop-outs - hopefully for a year or two or more - ideally several years.

I'll update in the spring but I'm keeping fingers crossed. This seems awesome and will hopefully avoid boiling water and all the hassles and headaches of putting liner back in each spring. Or, paying $125 for pool guy to do it.

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Hope this helps others!

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm even considering finding someone who knows how to use a 3-D printer that works with strong plastic, giving them the dimensions of a dime (available at the US Treasury site!) and 3-D printing these for myself.

Jeff

Check with your local schools to see if they have a 3D printer and would print them for you to buy. (We have one at my school and we are elementary level.) It is great practice for the students to get to design the item with the special software and then it is always fun to watch it print!!!

Sorry...just saw your last post about your solution. Glad it worked!

I used the 120' roll of liner lock with my first pool liner after the liner started coming out and it popped out repeatedly. When I got a new liner last year we had the rigid 4' sections of liner lock installed. Just started to get the pool ready for this season and found the middle of one section that gets the hot afternoon sun starting to come out and 3 ends in different places starting to look loose. Did any try the composite shims that were mentioned earlier in the thread? I've checked and Lowe's has a 12 pk for $1.88 -- figured it wouldn't hurt to try but thought I'd ask if they work or not before I make the long drive to my nearest Lowes. I'm also thinking about just replacing the problem
sections since they are all on the sides and not the corners. Do they make liner lock in different in different thicknesses? Thank you for any feedback!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.