Liner Install Game Plan - Please check my steps...

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

Here is my game plan up to installation of the liner, please let me know if I am missing anything... Thanks all...

Steps
  1. Make sure every part and every tool is ready to go.
    1. a. Light Liner Gasket - Pentair 79204603
    2. b. Light Rubber Gasket - Pentair 79207600
    3. c. Light Sealing Ring - Pentair 79206000
    4. d. Return Cover and Return Gaskets - SP1408
    5. e. Drain Cover - WGX1048E
    6. f. Drain Receiving Plate - WGX1048B
    7. g. Drain Gaskets - APCG3018
    8. h. Pool Rope Gasket and Cover -SPX1039BA
    9. i. Pool Rope
    10. j. Skimmer Gasket - SPX1084B - and I found a rubber one for the front face with the same part number so I got one for each side of the liner
    11. k. Skimmer Cover - SPX1084L
    12. l. Step Gasket - Liner Doctors L9325
    13. m. Coping Paint - Used Rustoleum High performance Enamel Gloss White, also used Rustoleum Universal Bonding Primer
    14. n. beer
    15. o. Foam Wall Bond - Used Gladon Blue Foam Bond - Pool wall Foam Spray Adhesive - 4 cans from Ebay
    16. p. Wall Foam - Found 125 ft roll for inground pools on ebay, no part number.
    17. q. Liner bead for liner track
    18. r. Two Shop Vacs
    19. s. Duct tape
    20. t. 5 bags of vermiculite
    21. u. 4x16 trowel
  2. Remove and inspect step gasket cover - Complete
  3. Night before (Thursday night)
    1. a. Begin draining the pool
    2. b. Remove all fittings and gaskets and set aside
    3. c. Remove the liner from shallow to deep end a section at a time as the water drains a section at a time sweeping debris to the deep end. Be sure to not cut the liner such that any water still left in the pool gets on the vermiculite.
    4. d. Clean pool bottom of debris and remove the last bit of the liner
    5. e. Remove drain fittings and gaskets and set aside
    6. f. Double check foam walls match height and thickness of new foam
    7. g. Remove / scrape off foam walls
    8. h. Sand and paint over any rusted out areas on pool walls
    9. i. Vacuum and clean existing floor
  4. Install new foam walls (Friday Morning)
    1. a. Install new foam walls
    2. b. Cut out holes in foam for returns, light, skimmers, pool rope
    3. c. Apply sealant to backs of gaskets and install all gaskets on returns, light, etc.
      1. i. This step is done in order to make sure they are secure when the liner is installed
  5. Mix and apply vermiculite to rough areas (Friday Afternoon)
    1. a. Allow to dry
  6. Liner installation prep (Early Saturday Morning)
    1. a. Smooth out all rough spots of vermiculite
    2. b. Vacuum and clean new floor
  7. Liner installation (Saturday Morning)
    1. a. To Be Continued…

I am not sure one run of beer will do it unless it is a keg! Some grilled food needs to be added as well! If you are willing to fly me up there I would be glad to help with this LOL

Your plan sounds solid. I do want to ask who will be helping you with the new liner install? Everything else can be a one person job but the install is another thing.

Oh get some of the padded kneelers gardeners use for those outside the pool. Your knees will thank me!

Kim:kim:

The foam will need to be cut to height. Line up top and trim at the floor with razor knife. If its decent leave it on. It's a real real pain to scrape and clean it if it's got good adhesive on it. You dont need covers for skimmer and drains unless you want to replace them. Leave gaskets on til water is out of shallow end. You need a sander to smooth out vermiculite with 60 grit works well. I wouldnt be too fussy with the floor unless its horrible. When you set the liner wet set the steps. Dont rely on vacuum alone wait for water to get close to bottom gasket then cut it in. You need a shop vac hose that you can cut the plastic end off so it lays flat. Stick it in skimmer a few inches down below it. Tape skimmer shut. It's not hard to do a liner take your time lining up the seams in liner to be square with pool walls.

I am not sure one run of beer will do it unless it is a keg! Some grilled food needs to be added as well! If you are willing to fly me up there I would be glad to help with this LOL

Your plan sounds solid. I do want to ask who will be helping you with the new liner install? Everything else can be a one person job but the install is another thing.

Oh get some of the padded kneelers gardeners use for those outside the pool. Your knees will thank me!

Kim:kim:
You are spot on Kim, always the cheerleader!! I will have 2-3 other folks helping me this Saturday to hang the liner assuming the weather keeps up.

The foam will need to be cut to height. Line up top and trim at the floor with razor knife. If its decent leave it on. It's a real real pain to scrape and clean it if it's got good adhesive on it. You dont need covers for skimmer and drains unless you want to replace them. Leave gaskets on til water is out of shallow end. You need a sander to smooth out vermiculite with 60 grit works well. I wouldnt be too fussy with the floor unless its horrible. When you set the liner wet set the steps. Dont rely on vacuum alone wait for water to get close to bottom gasket then cut it in. You need a shop vac hose that you can cut the plastic end off so it lays flat. Stick it in skimmer a few inches down below it. Tape skimmer shut. It's not hard to do a liner take your time lining up the seams in liner to be square with pool walls.

Thanks on the foam advice I did not know how to cut that in. Very helpful!!! I may not need the foam, I bought it just in case I did need it so I am not stuck. I may be sticking what I got back on ebay if the foam i have is good.

Man thanks on the sanding too, I have a dewalt circular sander and plenty of 40 and 60 grit disks...

The floor has several small divots in the shallow end that I may or may not fix.

Wet the steps? is that if the liner covers the steps? I have the cut out U shape strip thing.

Dont rely on vacuum alone wait for water to get close to bottom gasket then cut it in. - What is the "bottom gasket"?

Thanks so much for the input!!

When you hang liner and line it up only cut in the main drain if you have one with vacuum running after its sucked tight. Wet set stairs means use water to push liner tight before you cut them in. You will remove the faceplate and then the screws that hold the press plate against the gasket before hanging liner. Wait for water to set liner and then do bottom strip. You do with a hand screw driver to start all screws then drill aet on low chuck setting. Then do sides. If you rely on just vacuum you will have small void at bottom edge water helps tighten it up. Watch a YouTube video for a refresher it's not hard. Hardest is cutting new liner the first time trying to be sure you feel the holes. Take your time and to be safe draw a diagram of the screw pattern on each fitting on a scrap cardboard from liner box so you can feel and know the divot where screws go

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.