Line, load, SWG, Variable speed pump that never turns off, how would you set it up?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am about to wire this circupool rj60 but ran into a Slight Snafu.

Have a intermatic dual timer box, there all 230/240.

Timer 1 is wired to the Variable Speed pump. The Timer never turns off (its wired correctly, the lugs that turns it on and off have been removed). The pump never shuts off.

Timer 2 is plumbed to the Polaris booster, it runs about 3 hours a day.

I have a kill switch to the entire 240 run about 1 foot away from me (single flick, everything turns off).

Two questions.

1) From what I know, the RJ60 (circupool) has a built in clock and timer and you can set it to run vs using the intermatic turn on/turn off mechanism? What would be the best practice. I understand to wire the SWG to the load side of the timer, but that first timer does not actually time anything. Would I have to set a clock for the RJ60 to run when the pump hits higher speed?

2) Would it be a better practice to wire the SWG straight to the 2nd Intermatic that turns on 3 hours a day (The SWG would have to run 6 hours a day at 25% to generate the chlorine needed by my numbers)

I've been thinking about flow switches and how everybody says "don't rely on them". I don't intend to but with a variable speed pump, do you kinda do anyway?

I guess I am trying to get an idea of process or smart setup.

P,

Simply move your VS pump to the line side (input) to the timer... This would provide constant power to your pump.

Put the timer dogs back on timer #1 and wire your SWCG to the load side (output) of timer #1.

Set timer #1 to only apply power to the SWCG when the internal timer on the pump is telling the pump to run.

It is never a good idea to use the flow switch to turn the SWCG on/off.. as has been proven recently with a post here about an exploding SWCG..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Either wire it to the booster pump timer or purchase an additional intermatic timer and synchronize it to the VSP run times.

NEVER rely on the flow switch for operation. The risk of creating an explosive gas mixture is not worth it.

P,

Simply move your VS pump to the line side (input) to the timer... This would provide constant power to your pump.

Put the timer dogs back on timer #1 and wire your SWCG to the load side (output) of timer #1.

Set timer #1 to only apply power to the SWCG when the internal timer on the pump is telling the pump to run.

It is never a good idea to use the flow switch to turn the SWCG on/off.. as has been proven recently with a post here about an exploding SWCG..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think I will do just that. I’ll have to try the swg to see how it’s clock works

Reading the manual, apparently the rj series does (the documentation on the internal timer is lousy, also don’t know if it has a battery to keep the time if the power goes out). It’s default set to run off external timers.

I think for simplicity sake, I’ll run it off the intermatic timers (kind of glad the kill switch is so close). I have to reset the times on the variable speed pump so it’d be a good time to do the rewiring.

Time to run some numbers.

P,

Can you provide a link to your RJ Manual?? The one I see online does not have any reference to any internal clock or timer..

Maybe I'm just not looking at the right one...???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Redid the electrical so that the pumps on the line (it doesn’t turn off), the swg is on timer 1, and booster is on timer two. Since the pump has an anti freeze setting built in, moved the anti freeze timer over to the booster to protect it. I can use the on/off switch I have in the pool hut to shutoff the pump if needed. Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.