Limit waste flow when vacuuming on waste

gadget

Jun 7, 2012
Hi. I have a sand filter which does not have a "waste" setting. It has a "drain" setting which I believe will accomplish the same thing.
I'd like to limit the amount of water that exits when I'm vacuuming to waste so I don't have to lose all that water. The best scenario I came up with was to put a valve on the backwash hose and have it half open, or so. Is this a good idea, or will a buildup of pressure happen and cause internal damage?
Thanks in advance for replies.

I'd like to limit the amount of water that exits when I'm vacuuming to waste so I don't have to lose all that water. The best scenario I came up with was to put a valve on the backwash hose and have it half open, or so. Is this a good idea, or will a buildup of pressure happen and cause internal damage?
I think it would limit the volume and pressure from the vacuum, reducing its effectiveness.

That's odd about the "drain" position but I think you are correct in it's purpose.

I really don't think that will help you by restricting the flow. Since you will be moving less water, you will be evacuating less debris, I think.

Go go @gadget pool broom !! When applicable, I brush my heavy stuff into one general area and then it only takes a few quick passes to vac it to waste. I can brush it in just a few minutes and give it a while to settle first. It’s not perfect but it will get most of the bigger stuff out.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.