Limit waste flow when vacuuming on waste

gadget

Jun 7, 2012
Hi. I have a sand filter which does not have a "waste" setting. It has a "drain" setting which I believe will accomplish the same thing.
I'd like to limit the amount of water that exits when I'm vacuuming to waste so I don't have to lose all that water. The best scenario I came up with was to put a valve on the backwash hose and have it half open, or so. Is this a good idea, or will a buildup of pressure happen and cause internal damage?
Thanks in advance for replies.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That "waste" position is normally on a multi-port valve. Are you sure you have a "drain" position on a multiport?

Regardless, why not just vacuum in the filter position?

gadget

Jun 7, 2012
Yes, it's a multiport valve on an older jacuzzi laser 225. I'm not home right now, but as I recall it has the following settings.

Filter
Backwash
Rinse
Drain
Winterize
Whirlpool

Dave31410

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Savannah, GA
I'd like to limit the amount of water that exits when I'm vacuuming to waste so I don't have to lose all that water. The best scenario I came up with was to put a valve on the backwash hose and have it half open, or so. Is this a good idea, or will a buildup of pressure happen and cause internal damage?
I think it would limit the volume and pressure from the vacuum, reducing its effectiveness.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That's odd about the "drain" position but I think you are correct in it's purpose.

I really don't think that will help you by restricting the flow. Since you will be moving less water, you will be evacuating less debris, I think.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Go go @gadget pool broom !! When applicable, I brush my heavy stuff into one general area and then it only takes a few quick passes to vac it to waste. I can brush it in just a few minutes and give it a while to settle first. It’s not perfect but it will get most of the bigger stuff out.

Last edited: