Lights dead, conduit rusted out

Mike_I

Jun 1, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hello,
I have acquired a pool that's built in 60s-70s that is in need of a lot of TLC. Just thinking about the stuff that's needed gives me a headache. I've decided to focus instead on smaller, easier to achieve things, like upgrading the pump and fixing the lights. Regarding the lights, there are 2 of them and the conduit was metal (I guess that was the standard back then). After a bit of troubleshooting, I have found the following:
  • There is no power in the access boxes for the lights
  • The conduit is completely rusted out
  • The Lights are half-full with water
I came up with a long shot plan and was wandering if it would be too risky to attempt it:
  1. Replace the gaskets on the lights and replace old bulbs with LED bulbs
  2. Run an extension cord directly to the access boxes (as a temporary solution) and connect the light cables to it
Regarding a proper fix, Is there a way to fix the lights other than digging out the conduit and cutting through concrete deck? Pics below
Thanks!

IMG_20220623_202600_resize.jpg

IMG_20220623_202548__01_resize.jpg

IMG_20220623_205216_resize.jpg

IMG_20220623_205224_resize.jpg

IMG_20220623_205310_resize.jpg

IMG_20220623_205346_resize.jpg

I came up with a long shot plan and was wandering if it would be too risky to attempt it:
  1. Replace the gaskets on the lights and replace old bulbs with LED bulbs
  2. Run an extension cord directly to the access boxes (as a temporary solution) and connect the light cables to it

I would not do that. It is a safety hazard at multiple levels.

Those light fixtures are rotted out and need to be replaced. Replacing bulbs and gaskets do not make them safe.

Are you losing water through those rotted conduits? If not you could install 12 volt LED light fixtures in the conduit. Running 12 volts through the conduits from a proper pool transformer to new 12 volt LED light fixtures will be safe.

• The non-rusted conduit is probably brass and runs to the pool light niche.
  • The rusted conduit carries the wiring from the panel/pool light switch to the pool light junction box.
  • The entire light and cord assembly should be replaced.
  • The rusted metal conduit (the entire run from panel/light switch to the pool light junction box) can be replaced with PVC electrical conduit (check local codes first).
  • Proper wiring and bonding must be used.
  • It is possible to use 120v or 12v lighting since you will be redoing the entire pool light system (except for the brass pipe from light niche to pool light junction box - if that brass conduit is intact).
If you aren't familiar with pool electrical requirements, seek out an electrician well versed in the requirements.

Thank you! I didn't know about brass but now it makes sense - that middle conduit seems fine (it would also be hardest to replace). I pulled the light out and the socket is corroded.
I ordered a new fixture (Pentair Amerlite) from inyourpools to replace it. I will replace the emt (galvanized) conduit with PVC

IMG_20220626_211716.jpg

When replacing the EMT with electrical PVC conduit, be sure you have proper grounding and bonding (these are two separate things). I would bet in older pools, the metal conduit (EMT) might be used to provide either the grounding or bonding required. Use of non-metalic conduit will change that......

I'm leaving brass conduit from the access box by the pool to the light niche alone since that one seems to have no rust or leaks. Also, that one is buried under ground and should keep providing bonding. I'll also run ground wire (along with hot and neutral) from the breaker to the access box and connect the new light to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.