Light replacement

Vickie3581

Nov 15, 2022
Florida
Hi I am in serious need of help. I have an inground pool and my light cord is in a 100 foot conduit under the pool. The last time someone replaced the light he put some putty at the niche end of the conduit. The latest guy pulled the cord without removing the putty so now it’s stuck somewhere in the conduit. Tried pressure washer and a snake but nothing. Cannot get the new light line in. There’s also a ground wire in there already. Would love some ideas.

Hi I am in serious need of help. I have an inground pool and my light cord is in a 100 foot conduit under the pool. The last time someone replaced the light he put some putty at the niche end of the conduit. The latest guy pulled the cord without removing the putty so now it’s stuck somewhere in the conduit. Tried pressure washer and a snake but nothing. Cannot get the new light line in. There’s also a ground wire in there already. Would love some ideas.
That bonding wire might be your answer. Maybe you can disconnect each end of the bonding wire, then use it to pull a new bonding wire through from the pool side. Hopefully pulling your clog out with it. Remember to tie off a chaser line to the old bonding wire at the box. Also use penetrating oil from your box down into the pool nitch. Sometimes it takes a person on each side pulling a little back and forth to break it free when it gets hung on a 90. Use lots of penetrating oil.

Reactions: HermanTX
That bonding wire might be your answer. Maybe you can disconnect each end of the bonding wire, then use it to pull a new bonding wire through from the pool side. Hopefully pulling your clog out with it. Remember to tie off a chaser line to the old bonding wire at the box. Also use penetrating oil from your box down into the pool nitch. Sometimes it takes a person on each side pulling a little back and forth to break it free when it gets hung on a 90. Use lots of penetrating oil.
That is one of our options. We have found only one person willing to try it. He is an electrician. We are also considering a smaller volt light in hopes of a thinner cord. Unfortunately that means we would have to reduce the voltage at the transformer.

I don't know your situation, but 100ft of conduit and turns might be an issue. Some metal fishing coils don't like turns very well in conduit, I prefer to use the fiberglass fish which seems to take turns much better. For each turn adds resistance to the fish wire. Other ideas air compressor tied directly to the conduit.

That is one of our options. We have found only one person willing to try it. He is an electrician. We are also considering a smaller volt light in hopes of a thinner cord. Unfortunately that means we would have to reduce the voltage at the transformer.
Nah 12 volt light cords are just as thick I've tried that before. Listen man, use a lot of penetrating oil, cut that bonding wire, on both ends, use it to pull a new feeder line through. Pull it from the pool side. Make your day easier by using two people. One at the box, and one in the pool mostly pulling. Sea saw that bonding wire back and forth inch by inch it will pull further into the pool each time. When you get enough slack on any end, wrap a tool, bar, pvc then use it as leverage.

If that light had never been changed I would say your out of luck. But it was changed only a year ago. So you can pull that light. I'll bet you if you just spray or dump loads of penetrating oil down the junction box above the pool, and let it sit a few hrs, the bonding wire will come right out. And hopefully the clog as well. If the bonding wire comes out and the clog is still there, use a water bladder to push it back into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.