Waller, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our Pebble Tec was installed today, and one of the lights ended up recessed in the plaster instead of flush like the others. My pool builder has already had to do a lot of rework on our lights and this step because of mistakes they made earlier on, so I doubt he's going to want to do anything to fix this.

So, my question is should I expect everything to work properly and be easily replaceable in the future if it is left as-is? Our lights are Microbrites installed in the normal 1.5-in. wall fittings. Has anyone else experienced this before? This is our first pool build so I appreciate any insights people may have.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    920 KB · Views: 89
Welcome to TFP.

Once water is covering the light I doubt anyone will see the recess. I would not make it an issue.

Reactions: tonytx05 and borjis
Our pool lights, intellibrites, sit in a slight recess. I though it was meant to be that way so you could get a grip on it if you needed to. They’re considerably bigger than the microbrites and I don’t really notice the recess so hopefully you’ll be able to ignore it

Reactions: tonytx05
Yes it should have been flush like all the other lights in the pool. The Shotcrete crew should have notified someone that it was set too short and a cove would have to be used to get the proper radius needed on the step. Also the application of the plaster at the tile line above the step in the second picture is substandard and should be even with the bottom of the tile all along the step.

Yes it should have been flush like all the other lights in the pool. The Shotcrete crew should have notified someone that it was set too short and a cove would have to be used to get the proper radius needed on the step. Also the application of the plaster at the tile line above the step in the second picture is substandard and should be even with the bottom of the tile all along the step.
Oh it was worse when they shot gunite. The PVC was too high and the step was too short. Tried to point that out to our project manager when it was just rebar, but he assured us it would be done right. They ended up chipping out the step to lower the pipe and adding more concrete to raise the step level, but either their new stub out was too short or the electrician trimmed it too short.

I also noticed the plaster on the tile and pointed that out today. Not sure what their plan is to fix that.

Ok, but you can see one of our other lights on the right side of that picture that is flush like I expected. All of the other lights in the pools ended up flush.
I do see the difference in your lights - the one on the right has no recess, the one on the step is recessed much like my lights are - I have two lights and both of mine are recessed much like the one on your step. It would probably bother me quite a bit if mine were noticeably different. That being said, I am not sure it will be a functional problem if it is all sealed and installed correctly. However, this is your pool, and your dime - make sure you are happy.

My lights have been replaced several times - and the recess that my lights have has created no additional issues with those replacements. I think your original question was is there anything to worry about with the installation of a light in a recess - and I don't think it make a difference, beyond the aesthetics.

I expected my pool builder to say they weren't going to fix it, and I was content with that. Imagine my surprise when I walked out of the shower and there is a guy with a grinder going to town on my plaster this morning :eek:. They seem to think they can push it out until it's flush and have the plaster detail crew patch/seal/plaster around it this afternoon. I sure hope that's doable without breaking the light or causing a leak in the step ...

It's amazing to me how much my project manager shrugs off things that have been a problem, but their contractors all see the issues and agree they need to be fixed. The plaster guy that came this morning said "of course, they need to look the same and not have an ugly light in the step." Go figure.

Also the application of the plaster at the tile line above the step in the second picture is substandard and should be even with the bottom of the tile all along the step.
The plaster guy said the detail crew coming this afternoon would fix the spots where the plaster is over the top of the tile. I found several other spots around the pool this morning that had the same issue, and one where it seems they didn't pack it in enough up against the tile.

We're sooooo close to being done with all of this o_O ...

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Well, it didn't go quite to plan, but they got it fixed. Ended up cutting the pipe from the inside with a dremel tool and extending the pipe some. The plaster patch around it isn't a perfect match, but I doubt we'll notice it with water in the pool.

They didn't get all the plaster off the tile, but I'm not sure what else they do about it at this point without ruining the tile behind it.
2CEC5DBB-0536-433A-8E95-957CC00AAB38.jpeg
D2F50928-8CA6-47E4-82C6-22CFB4647779.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.