Light has decided to start tripping the breaker.

Just posting to say I haven't forgotten about this thread, just going to put it in hibernation until the weather gets warmer and I can get the light out. I did try to unscrew it from outside of the pool but at the angle I was at I couldn't get the screw to budge. Going to wait a couple of months until I can get in and get this thing out.

Reactions: HermanTX and JamesW
Wanted to post an update to see what everyone thinks.

I reset the breaker yesterday and turned on the light to see how fast it would trip. It never tripped. It stayed on all night. Turned it on again this morning and it's not tripping.

Any ideas? Nothing has been touched inside the pool since it's still too cold. Maybe this means something is wrong at the breaker box?

Finally warm enough to get in the pool. Screw was stripped and the light had been plastered over, but with some leverage and a small chisel/crowbar I got the light out. This must be the original from when the pool was built decades ago, no?

PXL_20230423_172333947.jpg

Opened it up. The existing gasket was gunky as all heck and was crumbling in my hands as I removed it.

PXL_20230423_173023602.jpg
PXL_20230423_173018242.jpg

Bulb itself seemed okay. I wonder how old it is. Should I start to think about replacing this with an LED? While at the pool store this afternoon the owner told me incandescent pool bulbs are banned come this summer. Said they are no longer going to order any more and once the deadline hits they can't even sell their existing stock and will need to throw them out as it will be illegal. Do good LED screw in in replacements exist?

PXL_20230423_173005104.jpg

This inside part under a little metal thing isn't looking to good. This is under a metal part that sits down there. I don know what this all is but half of it was cracked or melted or whatever. Pieces of it came out when I took everything apart.

PXL_20230423_172950885.jpg

Clamps still look okay.

PXL_20230423_173027994.jpg

So I went to the pool store and picked up a new gasket. I cleaned up the glass, put it on, reseated the metal clip thing, screwed back in the light and tested it quickly, I know you aren't supposed to turn it on until under the water but I wanted to see if it would keep tripping the breaker after it was sitting out for a bit and put back together. It all lit up, breaker didn't trip. Turned it right off, put it back together, cranked the screws down tight, and put it under the water. Light still works. Screwed it back into the wall with a new screw and tried it again, it's still working.

Will test it some more tonight when the sun goes down and leave it on for a while.

Finally warm enough to get in the pool. Screw was stripped and the light had been plastered over, but with some leverage and a small chisel/crowbar I got the light out. This must be the original from when the pool was built decades ago, no?

View attachment 485445

Opened it up. The existing gasket was gunky as all heck and was crumbling in my hands as I removed it.

View attachment 485446
View attachment 485447

Bulb itself seemed okay. I wonder how old it is. Should I start to think about replacing this with an LED? While at the pool store this afternoon the owner told me incandescent pool bulbs are banned come this summer. Said they are no longer going to order any more and once the deadline hits they can't even sell their existing stock and will need to throw them out as it will be illegal. Do good LED screw in in replacements exist?

View attachment 485448

This inside part under a little metal thing isn't looking to good. This is under a metal part that sits down there. I don know what this all is but half of it was cracked or melted or whatever. Pieces of it came out when I took everything apart.

View attachment 485449

Clamps still look okay.

View attachment 485450

So I went to the pool store and picked up a new gasket. I cleaned up the glass, put it on, reseated the metal clip thing, screwed back in the light and tested it quickly, I know you aren't supposed to turn it on until under the water but I wanted to see if it would keep tripping the breaker after it was sitting out for a bit and put back together. It all lit up, breaker didn't trip. Turned it right off, put it back together, cranked the screws down tight, and put it under the water. Light still works. Screwed it back into the wall with a new screw and tried it again, it's still working.

Will test it some more tonight when the sun goes down and leave it on for a while.
Good deal. You could have just replaced the incandescent light with a LED bulb. Surprised they didn’t try to sell an incandescent bulb if they are trying to get rid of them. I would monitor this closely, maybe it was just a leak past the gasket.

You could have just replaced the incandescent light with a LED bulb.

How much should one of those cost and any brands I should consider? They had one LED bulb at the store for sale for $70. Never priced them out or used one so not sure what I should be looking for. I've seen some do different colored lights by using the light switch and turning it on and off?

How much should one of those cost and any brands I should consider? They had one LED bulb at the store for sale for $70. Never priced them out or used one so not sure what I should be looking for. I've seen some do different colored lights by using the light switch and turning it on and off?
Prices vary a lot. Just look at Amazon or Polytec Poolsupply LED Bulbs
You can search the TFP forum for info or user experience

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.