Light Bulb Replacement

Apr 5, 2011
Northern California
I removed my light fixture today and took some pictures of the fixture. I wanted to get TFP's advice before I take it apart as I don't want to spend money on a new fixture or anything, I just want to replace the bulb. It appears to be a Underwater Laboratories Purex 100-3. I only found one result with any information on google:

"Comment by John Crager on November 10, 2010 at 2:42pm
I need to replace both light fixtures in my pool and spa. I have a purex model 100-3 Froming Shell No. 425. 120v, Lamp R-40 300w. My question is which fixture to I need to buy and will I need a Purex adapter ring? I have been unable to find my fixture online or locally, hopefully you can tell me what I need so that I can purchase in install 2 of them.

Comment by Pentair Product Technician-Ben on November 11, 2010 at 7:54am
@John
Being a purex light it's hard to say. Some are exactly the same as the current lights, but some are just a little different. I would recommend you take either the whole old light, or at least the face ring to a local pool store and see if it matches up to a newer light's face ring."

Taken from Google Cache

Should I disconnect the fixture from the wiring and take into my local pool supply store like the customer service guy suggested? The wire assembly does just unscrew from the fixture, right :?:

Also, when I pulled the fixture from the hole lots of slimy/mud went into the pool, you can see some of it on the side in second picture. There appears to be more in the hole but I left it alone when I vacuumed up the debris that fell to the floor. Any ideas what this is?

[center:1y8f2v2s]PICS:

[/center:1y8f2v2s]

Don't mess with the wiring. It is sealed and won't be safe to use if you disconnect it. The screws around the perimeter will release the lens and let you get to the bulb. Replace the gasket too. It's not a big job.

Also, when I pulled the fixture from the hole lots of slimy/mud went into the pool, you can see some of it on the side in second picture. There appears to be more in the hole but I left it alone when I vacuumed up the debris that fell to the floor. Any ideas what this is?

The lights are water cooled, since the water in the niche doesn't get "circulated' sediment tends to accumulate in it over time. Nothing to really worry about. The easiest way to clean it out is to just vacuum it out next time you vacuum your pool. This will keep it from clouding your water.
Good Luck!

I am a newbie (pool is only a year old) and I just changed my first pool light the other day.
My fixture looks virtually identical to yours, but it's a Hayward. Rather than the multiple screws, I have a
c-clamp style seal holder.

As you've already heard on this forum - it's not a big deal to change the light.

Make sure the electricity is off (breaker) and pay attention as you disassemble, including the orientation of the parts.

There are good step-by-step instructions on this site. You'll feel good when you finish - I'm sure someone would charge $75+ to do it.

Slade

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.