Lifegard Aquatics M-6 filter

Mike in Vermont

May 14, 2019
Vermont
I bought my house in July of 2017 and it came with a 20x40 in-ground pool, which is my first pool. The pool came with a Lifegard Aquatics M-6 filter system fed by a 1 HP Hayward SP260 pump.

Apparently this filter system is intended for commercial aquaculture and similar applications. Has anyone heard of these being used with residential pools? I can’t tell if this is a case of over-doing it, chincing out or installing a system that the homeowner will be more likely to call the original installer to service.

Here’s a page with some info from the manufacturer : Aquarium, Pond & Water Garden, Fountain and Commercial Aquaculture Products – LIFEGARD® AQUATICS » Product Detail

It uses 6 vertical tubular chambers, each with a “29 ¼ inch 20 Micron Cartridge.“ Generally I don’t have any complaints, other than the need to clean the filters roughly weekly, but I this is my first pool so I don’t have anything to compare to. Last season the pool was a green mess when I first opened it and I had to clean the filter cartridges every few hours because they would turn green and slimy and the pressure gauge would spike but once the pool was in good shape I cleaned them roughly weekly. To clean them I hose them off then soak them in a muriatic acid solution. I have three full sets so switching them out for cleaning and good soak is not a problem.

Out of curiosity, do any of you pool pros have any experience with these filters? Care to offer any opinions on this setup?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Have to admit I have never heard of that equipment.

Cleaning them that often would drive me crazy. I clean my cartridges once a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.